LO crashes when trying to save a document with a font bigger than 44 pt

I’d been using LO for quite sometime now but recently, after upgrading to Xubuntu 22.04 LTS, I have experienced some issues while working with LO.

At first I had no clue to why the system would crash everytime I tried to open one of the .odp’s I had previously been working on, editing and saving with no problems at all (before the upgrade).

But now, I realized the problem is the font size as it happens that when I set the font size to anything bigger than 44 pt and save the document, it crashes the system and logs me out of my session.

I tried with Writer and the same thing happens, but with a bigger font size, something like 54 pt.

Is there a way to resolve this problem?

Can you set font sizes bigger than 44 pt?

Version: 7.3.3.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 30(Build:2)
CPU threads: 2; OS: Linux 5.15; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Ubuntu package version: 1:7.3.3-0ubuntu0.22.04.1
Calc: threaded

Such a mishap shouldn’t happen.

I notice you’re under Xubuntu, i.e. your desktop manager is Xfce. The default GUI package (VCL) is libreoffice-gtk3 (Fedora name, yours may differ).

What happens if you start LO from command line (in a console) with:

SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=x11 soffice

Of course, check first that package libreoffice-x11 is present on your machine. If this solves the problem, remove package libreoffice-gtk3.

Thanks for your answer.

I first checked via Synaptic that I had libreoffice-gtk3 and it’s there and marked as installed.

I then checked I had libreoffice-x11 but nothing came up.

Nonetheless, I input the command that you suggested and LibreOffice loaded normally, but this appeared in the terminal.

Now, I saved a document with font size 54 pt.

Also with 66 pt

But it crashed again at 80 pt.

It crashes when saving the document and it logs me out of the session…

josefranw, can you please try instead:
SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen soffice
And see if that changes anything.
There’s definitely something fishy, but it might not be specific to LibreOffice, see this post: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=386659
On Bugzilla, we’ve got 157504 – LibreOffice Impress crashes Cinnamon desktop environment when user enters font size greater than 131 in the "Character" dialog. and 151896 – LibreOffice Writer ends XFCE Session when type the word in Spanish "Protejase" that seem related.