LO Writer Missing Pages between "First" and "Left" page styles

I did a small 53 page document (translated) with page styles of Title, First Page, Left Page and Right Page. I started with a small table of contents (as First Page) then inserted a manual break of First Page for the preface. As I copied in the translated text of the preface LO Writer automatically went from style First Page to Left Page. For each chapter I added style First Page then copied text into the document.

For some reason (I’m not sure if it happened after adding headers) I lose a page between First Page style and Left Page style. What I don’t understand is the problem is not consistent. I’m missing pages for chapters 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, and chapter 12.

I don’t see why 3 chapters don’t skip pages. Please see attached document.Humility- The Beauty of Holiness Portuguese.docx

Jan 30, 2021 UPDATE

This has gotten really confusing so I started from scratch to translate this document. This is now just a 12 page document. I inserted a page break for a “First Page” and then just copy in the translated text from Google translate.

This new document has only been saved as .odt and it jumps from page 8 to page 10 and I just don’t see how that is happening. There’s no insert page break to the last paragraph of page 8.

See new attached document.Clean Humility- The Beauty of Holiness Portuguese.odt

Jan 30 AFTERNOON UPDATE

I just started a new document of LibreOffice Writer. The first thing I did was to save it as ODF Text Document and then copied in just a few translated pages.

Is this still getting saved as a .docx file? See attached…
Humility.odt

That document seems to be a docx document passing for an odt. In any case, Libre regards it as damaged beyond repair.

That one is odt.

Very simple: don’t save files with page styles in docx format unless you know everything about page styles. Page styles in the ODF format are not compatible with the sections in MS Word. Save in the ODF format and you will see that everything will be fine. In the docx file all styles formatting has been lost, if in fact there ever was any.

See the edited version in the attachment. Note: to get it working for Word, the conversion process included lots of page breaks in the middle of sentences that I deleted. You may want to check that I didn’t accidentally delete some letters that meant something.

16119580322610466.odt

I set language to Portuguese in the Default paragraph style, and formatted all chapter headings as Heading 1.

To show the community that your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers.

CRUD!!!

I should have known that. I’ve been down this road.
Thanks

So clearly I can’t just copy text from the .docx to the .odt without the new .odt being corrupted too.

I have to retranslate again?

Use the edited copy that I attached. You will need to modify your strategy with page styles. use a different one for the first pages where you don’t want page numbering. Better tell us what you actually want. Do that in a comment or by editing your question. Don’t post an Answer: Answers are meant for solutions.

Try Tutorial on Page styles and headers/footers in http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=44607.

Hello @JUSTROB, Your document has 53 pages and 44 variants of Converted page styles. Maybe part of the reason is attributable to saving as .docx.

At the end of page 9 (Converted6 page style with right and left page layout) you inserted a new page (Converted8 with only right page layout).

And chapter 3 don’t beggin in a new page.

For a document with many pages, using manual format for headings (instead of styles) may be not the best idea. You can use paragraph styles for headings so they automatically begin at a new page.

Instead of adding an extra Enter after each paragraph, you can use spacing below paragraph.

For the Índice trailing dots, see my answer at /question/267974/ (don’t take the centered tab stop of this answer).

Please, see more LibreOffice Help on Styles in Writer, Creating and Applying Page Styles and Styles (Sidebar).

Tested with LibreOffice 6.4.7.2 (x86); OS: Windows 6.1.

Add Answer is reserved for solutions. If you think the answer is not satisfactory, add a comment below, or click edit (below your question) to add more information. Thanks.

Check the mark (Answer markCorrect answer mark) to the left of the answer that solves your question.