Lock file could not be created error (macOS)

The lock file could not be created for exclusive access by LibreOffice, due to missing permission to create a lock file on that file location or lack of free disk space. (macOS)

I can’t open doc or docx files without getting the “Read Only” or “Cancel” pop up. I do have Sophos running in the background, though I’m not sure if that’s what’s preventing me from opening files. I’d appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

[Edit - Opaque] Shortened title and put old title to the beginning of details.

I can’t open doc or docx files without getting the “Read Only” or “Cancel” pop up

Does that mean you can read access with ODF formats like .odt, .ods or is it just because you are only using alien formats and never tried ODF formats?

In addition: Did you provide Full Disk Access to LibreOffice.app?

I have read/write access to all native (ODF) formats and no problem with those files. Full Disk Access had already been provided to LibreOffice.app.

And your .doc or .docx files are stored on the same storage location, or are they stored somewhere else (e.g on a Cloud service)?

Your question has helped me focus! The .doc and .docx files created by LibreOffice are stored on the same storage location as ODF files: on my iCloud Drive/Documents. I’m not having any problem opening those documents, it turns out. The problem I am having concerns .doc and .docx files that are emailed to me. They are in Users/Username/Library/Mail Downloads. These are the files I cannot open.

The problem I am having concerns .doc and .docx files that are emailed to me. They are in Users/Username/Library/Mail Downloads. These are the files I cannot open.

Don’t double click the document directly from within your e-mail program. Store the file (attachment) using something like Save As to a well known place and open from there (e.g. store to /Users/<Username>/Documents) and use Finder and open with your usual methods.

Thanks for that suggestion, Opaque. It works. Question: is there something I can do so that I can open them directly? I’m in a writers group and they send files via email during our meetings. It would be great if I didn’t have to save to a folder and then open, but I’m happy to at least have that as an option.

Full Disk Access had already been provided to LibreOffice.app

From own experience I know, that there are cases, where the procedure to grant Full Disk Access needs to be repeated, if you upgraded LibreOffice. So my suggestion is to

• Remove Full Disk Access permission for LibreOffice.app
  • (Re-)Grant Full Disk Access permission for LibreOffice.app again

May be this would add permission /Users/Username/Library/Mail Downloads (protected user specific application folder).

For me, I was only getting this error on a new mac, and only with files already created on an external hard drive. The solution recommended by anon73440385 solved my problem tonight. Hopefully I won’t have to repeat this process.

FYI, below are explicit instructions on how to Grant Full Disk Access on more recent Mac computers:

Shalom,
G.