Locking cells based on

Hi

I would like to protect cells in a spreadsheet once we get beyond a certain time (3am) which would prevent somebody from accidentally modifying some numbers the following day. Apparently Conditional Formatting will not allow this. So what are the options? I am on LO 7.3.2.2. Thanks

conditional_unlocking.ods (39.5 KB)

No! You protect the document right away, and when you need to change it, you unprotect it and then put it back. Either I don’t understand the conditions in which you work. Or you don’t explain it well.

1 Like

Hi Eeigor,
I want my spreadsheet to automatically protect all the cells overnight so the next person that works on it the following day doesn’t make a “oops” and accidentally modify/erase a cell. Yes, the spreadsheet is also locked. My staff isn’y tech savvy and I am trying to put in a few safeguards to prevent mistakes.

Maybe what @Lupp wrote on the topic is of interest: How can I use conditional formatting to protect a cell in LibreOffice Calc?

If you had a field/cell with the day of creation you can compare to today(), but my preferred precaution against not tech-aware people would be a regular backup. (Second advantage: it helps also tech-pros, if necessary…)

Well, if you try it this way. Protect the data, and let the other employees work with the data in the pivot table, because it is not editable (this will be a view of your data).
The thing is that in Excel, for example, there is the Application.OnTime method, but here things are more complicated.

Additionally, signal the inexperienced user that there are formulas in those cells and they cannot be changed. To do this, they can be formatted differently directly or use conditional formatting: ISFORMULA(A1). To do this, create a style for coloring the values of cells with formulas, better to use a green font color: RGB(0;128;0). However, it’s up to you. You can make the background gray.

Your posting history indicates that you are familiar with MySQL. Create a database with a user group that can select existing data and insert new records but not delete nor update.

Hi Villeroy
A MySQL is on the bucket list.