Lost unsaved documents after unrequested update

My libreoffice updated to a new version without my consent and therefore it is as if started anew. Is there anyway to recover the text I was working on?

My libreoffice updated to a new version without my consent …

Now, at some point, you will have check-marked the box in the Tools>Options>LibreOffice>Online Update menu?
See Download updates automatically

Is there anyway to recover the text I was working on?

An update never touches text.

Which operating system and LibreOffice Version do you use?

I hadn’t checked it. guess it updated automatically as the computer restarted.
Im on windows 10, the current libreoffice version 6.3.1.2

It may not touch text, however I cant find a trace of the docs I was working on. I hadn’t saved them previously. Do you know if it is possible to recover them?

EDIT @Hrbrgr : Never you can recover unsaved documents.

libreoffice version 6.3.1.2

is an old one. Have a look at:

Download LibreOffice

Part of it might still be in the temporary directory when Windows shut down for Windows Update.

1. Look in Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Paths to find where the temporary directory is. Probably it is something like C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp
  2. Navigate to that folder and find a folder with date and time around the time you were using it. It might be named something like lu127083qqg3.tmp3 . Open the folder and find the biggest file in there with almost the same name, something like lu127083qqg.tmp, and copy it to somewhere else (we don’t want to break anything) like Documents.
  3. Rename the extension to .odt and open it. Maybe you will be lucky.
  • Always save early and save often.
  • Each night close your apps and close your computer down (disable Faststart if you know how).
  • If you see a pop-up notice asking to schedule a restart, save and close everything, restart immediately. Windows isn’t reliable when it needs to reboot, just like a toddler needing to go to the toilet, it sometimes can’t hold on.

First of all, I’ll just assume that you have saved your documents. This is the normal process after you have edited a document.

I assume that you access your documents via the Windows file manager.
And probably due to a Windows update the assignment of the files got lost.
But you can restore this. See:

Assign files to LibreOffice

Alternatively, open LibreOffice and choose File>Open from the menu, then locate the file you want to edit in the directory window.

Unfortunately I hadn’t saved the document. I expected it would appear on the recovery tab as I initiated libreoffice

A recovery can only be done if a document has already been saved. If a crash occurs afterwards while working on the document, e.g. the document, LibreOffice or the operating system.

See also:
AutoRecovery

Also, scroll up in this linked post and read through everything to avoid data loss in the future.

1 Like

You didn’t describe how you access your documents. I assume you rely on the “start center” (the screen which appears when you launch LO but not one of its components like Writer or Calc) or on File>Recent Documents menu item. The start center displays thumbnails of most recently open documents. The menu item has the same list (without thumbnails).

The list is usually reset in update. Note that only the list is erased. Your files, if saved, are left untouched. In case your computer fluency is just average, you must discover where the documents have been saved by default. See @EarnestAl’s clue. You can also have your exact location by reading Tools>Options, LibreOffice>Paths.