macOS: unwanted document zoom when scrolling

I am aware that this question has already been discussed here, but it was falsely closed as “solved”. So I’ll go for another try.

When using Writer or another LibreOffice application, I regularly use my trackpad for scrolling. I also make heavy use of keyboard shortcuts. But when scrolling and the Cmd key are combined, my document is zoomed which is not what I want.

This even happens when smooth scrolling continues to decelerate after I lift my fingers off the trackpad, so I have to pause for a moment until the scrolling is completed. This is very contradictory to my “muscle memory” workflow.

To be clear, this behaviour is NOT referencing the screen loupe (zoom) macOS has built in (to be activated in System Preferences → Accessibiliy → Zoom → Use scroll gestures with modifier keys to zoom. That function is bound to the Ctrl key on my system and poses no problems. I am speaking about the LibreOffice function that is also accessible under the View → Zoom menu that only changes the document’s zoom level.

So, is there a way to solve this? Maybe disable scroll-based zooming in LibreOffice altogether? I am perfectly fine with all the other ways to zoom my document (menu, slider at the bottom right, trackpad pinch gesture). Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

No, it’s not “solved”! What you have is a known, longstanding issue with LO on macOS, discussed on Bugzilla since 2012, and an inherited behaviour from OpenOffice.

As you can see from the discussion, one option would be for the zoom feature to be actuated by Control-Scroll rather than Command-Scroll, but this needs to be programmed in by the developers.

If you register on Bugzilla, you could add your weight to the list of complaints.

I cannot find any way to amend mouse/trackpad + keyboard interactions in LO. Keyboard shortcuts can be customized under Tools, and a couple of centre button options changed in Preferences. Sorry not to be more helpful—I’m just another user, not a developer. :>/

Firefox has a similar issue with cmd-scroll but it impacts the user far less because they have provided a fast way to fix the unwanted zoom: simply press cmd-0 and the zoom level is set to 100% again.

Adding something like this sounds much easier than fixing the underlying issue in LibreOffice…

You could assign a key combination (Tools > Customise > Keyboard) to the command Page Width or Entire Page, Ctrl+= seemed free or this screenshot. Cheers, Al