mail merge insert conditional text and field

I am trying to insert conditional text. If the condition is true then I want to insert a space followed by a field. I can get it to insert just the space OR just the field but it will not insert both. Am I missing something? Or, is this not possible?

The reason I don’t just put the space in the merge template is because there are many such fields that I need to print in succession and if there are several fields that do not meet the condition then I will end up with extra spaces in the document.

I thought about putting the space in the merge template and then just inserting the field if the condition is true and insert a backspace if the condition is false but there also does not seem to be a way to specify control characters or regular expressions in the conditional text.

edit:
So far, the only way I have found to accomplish this is to test the condition twice, once to insert the space and then again to insert the field. But this is EXTREMELY cumbersome and tedious when there are many fields that need to be treated this way.