Make table of contents display description on left and numbers on right side of page

I created a table of contents but the Descriptions E.g. “Chapter 1” is on the right side of the page and the associated pg. # is on the left. How do I make the the description is on left side of page and pg. # on the right hand side? This is a single column TOC. MacOS Monterey. LO 24.2.5.2 X86_64. saved as .odt. English USA, English USA. Haven’t customized TOC. Don’t know how

Chapter 1 ............................................................................. 4
Chapter 2 ............................................................................. 10

Please reopen your question (click on below its description, then on the “pencil” icon) to provide additional information:

• OS name,
  • LO version,
  • save format,
  • your locale (the default language of the computer)
  • language(s) used in the document: have you parts written right-to-left (Arabic, Hebrew, …)?

Have you customised the way TOC is rendered in Insert>TOC & Index>TOC, Index or Bibliography dialog, Entries tab?

See if the paragraph style text direction is correct.

It’s set Left to Right

Can you share a reduced sample file showing the issue son we can test? Thanks.

What’s a reduced sample file?

A file that is not so big (and has no private data).

Spaceships & Star Systems.odt (367.7 KB)
Ok, here is a truncated file

When you “reorganised” built-in styles (in particular, removed the factory hierarchy of styles), you completely botched Contents n paragraph styles configuration.

Open any of these styles and go to Alignment tab. Restore Text direction to Left-to-right (LTR) or, better, press Reset to Parent. But as you removed the styles from Header inheritance, you’ll have also to reset Options to Left/Top.

General remark: your document is an awful mess. Instead of using styles (apart from Heading n family), everything is done like it was more than fifty years ago in the mechanical typewriter era: manually (if you come from Word, this is an inherited routine). All your text is Default Paragraph Style whose sole role is to configure preferred typographical settings shared by all other styles. The “standard” style for discourse id Body Text. Character styles is there to alter appearance (bold, italic, …) inside a paragraph, like Emphasis for italic or Strong Emphasis for bold.

You also vertically space with empty paragraphs, which will play sooner or later nasty tricks when you try to tune your layout. Your first page is a nightmare. Your image has no sensible properties and you overlay text positioning it with empty paragraphs, again used to space to next page (instead of a simple page break).

You should read the Writer Guide first.

I didn’t change any settings. I installed Libre newly yesterday and simply chose create TOC and pressed ok. No idea how to get into “styles” as I never have used anything like this before. I didn’t create the doc.So, how do you get into styles?

Maybe from MSWord:
imagen

Thanks. Did the alignment tab thing. Don’t see any “Options” anywhere so I’ll leave it at that. Don’t have time to read 400 pages before I do anything. The documentation is written well if you already know the program. As what you found wasn’t listed in the documentation I downloaded. I searched it for 2 hours but nothing about this was noted. Not unusual as documenting and code commenting went out the window 40 years ago
Thanks again!

Don’t know why but…

…and so, until Contents 9.

Yes, must have been set by whomever created the doc originally. THANKS!

1 Like