Master document / Page break between each subdocument

Hello everyone,

I work from a master document and when I work on sub-documents with a default Page style Page style, I have no page break (and that’s what I want).

On the other hand, when sub-documents have a First page page style, the master document creates a page break at the start of the sub-document. So I apply the default Page style, and the page break remains in the master document.

So I have two questions:

• Is it possible to create a master document without a page break with sub-documents using the Page style First page?
  • Is it a bug when you reset the default Page Style and the page break remains in the master document?

Thank you very much,

If you need to test I can post a video or the files

Just so you know, the rule for inserting page breaks in a master document is to insert them in the paragraph style, in the Sequencing tab, in the Breaks section.

LibreOffice 7.5.4.2
OS Ubuntu 23.04

Edit:
The problem persists with a single sub-document and front text. I’ve made a video to show my problem, I think it will be more telling.
-Master document (Default page style)
| Text
|- Sub document (Default page style then First page)

Link to video : LibreOffice | Problem wtith Master doc and Sub doc with break page - YouTube
Here’s a step-by-step description of what I do

• I create a sub-document with content (title and paragraph) and a Default page style.
  • I create a master document.
  • I insert the sub-document under a text block.
  • The different blocks are linked without page breaks.
  • I change the page style to First page.
  • This creates a page break in the master document.
  • I revert to the Default page page style in the sub-document.
  • And the page break remains in the master document.

Please improve a bit your question (edit it = modify it, don’t use a comment) to explain the structure of your master. Have you some text before referencing the first dub-doc (which, I understand, starts with a First Page style)? What is your layout scheme in the sub-doc? In other words, why do you start with First Page here as First Page is in fact intended for cover page. Unless your sub-docs could be printed on their own, it does not make sense to have a “cover page” in the middle of a book (=the master), except if you need “intermediate covers” = separator pages between parts. Then it is normal to have page breaks.

Tell how you built your master: in which order you inserted the components (text and sub-docs).

If your master + first sub-doc are not too big, attach them to your question.

Hello,

This the same problem with the new version 7.6.
If somebody has a solution to prevent the master document from making a page break when the child document has a page style other than the default.
Yes, I can delete it in the master document, but it comes back each time I update it.
Thanks

This is not a solution to the initial question. Please delete your “non-answer” and repost as a comment. Add more technical details.

General comment: a page style change can occur only with a page break. Consequently if your sub-document advertises a page style different from the one in effect in the master, expect a page break.

What you describe hints for styling inconsistencies between master and sub-docs. The only reliable way to avoid them is to base all documents on the same template.

Thank you for your reply. This means that when you change the page style in the sub-document (first page style for example), the style is not imported into the master document, but the page break is.

I don’t see the point of this import.

Thank you very much because I was stuck on this.

No, the page break is not “imported” in the master document. You must understand that the master does not “import” the sub-doc in the traditional way but interprets the sub-doc (formatting directives) under its own style definitions. Therefore if style definitions are not the same, the master definition takes precedence over the sub-doc one. If there is no corresponding style definition in the master, then the definition in the sub-doc is used.

This (useful) behaviour may upset newbies which would expect the sub-doc to be displayed “as is”, disregarding the distortion created by different styles under same name. The behaviour allows for very advanced effects, so don’t complain about it and read the documentation.

If you have a page break at start of sub-doc “inclusion”, the cause is simply a different page style (name). Writer considers this is intentional and applies the usual rules at page style change.

As already mentioned, the only safe and reliable way to avoid “surprises” is to base all documents on the same template and to stick to a very rigorous and strict style method, notably avoiding absolutely direct formatting.

1 Like