Master page editing

Hi,

I have a question that is probably elementary but I can’t seem to follow the path from the manual. Fortunately my concerns are about pages at the end of a document. Somehow initially I must have setup left and right master pages,but how I got there I can’t find, It might be peculiar to macOS. In some of the pages at the end of my document I simply want to delete the text in the headers and delete the page numbering. As you might guess, if I just select these items on the few pages I want to change and delete them, it deletes them throughout the document. How can I uncouple these few pages from the others? and where did I create them to begin with? I can’t find any list or dialog of my master pages. Page>Master Page does not appear on my menu bar.

Thanks,

Header and footer are attributes of page styles. Therefore, if you need different header/footers for different parts of your document, you must first create ad hoc page styles (or use the various built-in styles) and break your document in parts associated each with a specific page style (or in advanced use with a specific set).

The transition from one page style to another is done with an explicit page break. The ordinary Ctrl+Enter just breaks to next page, keeping the current style.

To switch to another style, you must Insert>More Breaks>Manual Break. The popup dialog offers the possibility to choose the page style after the break and optionally to reset page number.

A page style is active between two manually added “technical” breaks (or from beginning to the first; or from the ladt to end of document).

When header/footer uses fields, contents become “dynamic” and the page style can be reused for different parts with header/footer reflecting part data, e.g. a single page style may be used for all chapters with header showing chapter heading.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

Hi Ajittoz,

I must have used ad hoc page styles from the dialog referenced above by Astur, if nothing else for custom page size and margins. As we have addressed elsewhere I think I have Page Breaks resolved for blank pages between, shall I call them empty pages, with or without left and right headers and auto page number.

(Bye the way, Ctl+Enter I had scribbled in my Manual somewhere didn’t seem to work for macOS 10.13, for what I can’t recall. I’m sorry I can’t find that scribbled note.)

I tried what I think you are saying with some success, but with some scary things happening to. What I have at the moment is a right-hand page with only huge letters announcing “Blank Page” after the last numbered page of my document.

So far this is what I’m after (if I can get past the shock of the big letters). I think I achieved this with placing the cursor on the bottom left-side (empty line) paragraph symbol of the previous page(?). After that…Out of allowed typing space to comment.

Hi Ajittoz,

I hope this is OK to continue my comment above. After achieving at least the Blank Page and trying various experiments with Insert>More Breaks>Manual Breaks I had several results including deleting document-wide my (footer) page numbers, left and right headers, and new pages coming and going. All of this I was able to recover and the preceding document is fine and the order of the remaining pages fine.

As my document sits right now, I have:

• my last numbered page formatted properly (left-hand)
  • the big Blank Page, with no formatting marks (right-hand)
  • empty left-hand page with margins and one blue paragraph symbol top left, right-hand caption on
  • the right-hand side(!) and page number “0” in an unwanted numbers
    field box.
  • right-hand page with text paragraph symbol top left, but the left-hand caption on the left side(!) and
    “1” in the unwanted number field.
  • empty left-hand page like above, page “2”.

Hi Ajittoz,

Sorry to run on again, but in my second paragraph past the colon: I had all my pages listed on a their own lines indented. I note above that was eliminated and everything just runs on. I hope it isn’t too garbled to pick out each of the five referenced pages.

Thanks,

What is typed here in question, answers or comments ends up as HTML. This means white space and line breaks are ignored, resulting in merging all lines together. A line break must be encoded as a pair => empty line between paragraphs. Formatting is done under Mardown rules.

I have some difficulty to follow your description. Don’t worry about “Blank Page” warning, it doesn’t print.

If you can make a public (= not containing private data) sample file (max. 5 pages) with the sequence of pages you don’t understand, edit your question and attach the file (see here how to do it).

Under MacOS, when Ctrl is used in answers, the key is “command” or .

Hi Ajittoz,

Thanks for the lesson on what HTML does. I’m sorry to bother you with what are probably novice questions, but I can’t seem to upload the file. I used Apple Grab to create four “shots” (.jpg) of mirrored pages and saved them to a folder on my desktop that I titled “Apple Grab LO.jpg”. They illustrate the problem very well, bye the way. I clicked the link you provided and followed the instructions for uploading a file, first to comments (fake question), and then “edit answer”. They both resulted in the same thing.

In either case, when I clicked the attachment icon a small dialog appeared with a not selectable file entry box, but underneath a “Browse” button. I selected the button and it opened on a (excuse me if I’m using the word wrong–directory) of my desktop. From this list I selected my file above with the shots and then the bottom “open” button became active. Selecting it didn’t activate anything accept to open the file on my desktop. What am I missing?

The attachment icon is the paperclip. Press the Browse button to select a file then the OK button. You’re back in the site edit/entry box with the caption field in the attachment encoding selected so that you are ready to type some “nice” caption. After that, you must position the cursor after the attachment encoding otherwise you’ll mess up everything. There shouldn’t be an Open button but an OK button. Otherwise you are probably not in the right application (or the OK caption is replaced by your OS to something else).

Don’t attach .jpg as they won’t allow for analysis of what’s inside your document. For a correct diagnostic, I need access to your page styles and other formatting you entered. This is why I requested a sample document and not screenshots.

Yes, directory is the right word.

Hi Again,

I did see the OK button in the LO attachment dialog box, however the file entry box above was not selectable (no file chosen). Below that was the “Browse” button that activated a list (directory?) of all the items on my desktop. I went back to this process by selecting the “Browse” button and just highlighted the (insufficient) “Apple Grab LO.jpg”. I bypassed the (Apple) “open” button by going back to the LO attachment dialog and selecting the OK. Nothing happened. The greyed out file entry box would not accept the highlighted file, which we know isn’t what you need anyway.

I think some of the issue might be that what is referred to as a file is not what sits my my desktop as a blue folder icon with four .jpgs in it. Perhaps the Browse>Open routine would work if the file was something like what Windows uses: Users/File/ …/…

How to create the file you need? Copy/Paste included only the text frame. Would copy .odt document and delete copy to five pages work?

I see my misunderstanding.

The Browsebutton opens the OS file selection dialog with its own Open and other buttons. You must effectively “open” the file there. You can’t attach a directory, only files. If you click on a directory, Open will enter it. For a file, Open closes the dialog and you’re back in the browse dialog with the filename entered in the text box. Does it behave as such?

Regarding the .odt, I need a file with the offending sequence and all the styles involved. Remember that any file posted here is available to the whole world. Consequently, remove any private data or replace it with neutral text like “lorem ipsum” (type lorem followed by F3).

Hi Ajittoz,

Thanks for sticking with me. In my macOS, the Browse only opens, in my case the saved items to the desktop and selecting one (Open) still leaves the LO attachment text box unselectable under any circumstance, direct typing or pasting the “Open” selection. Might this be a bug (6.4)? We know that the .jpg’s will not work for you anyway.

Without too much damage, I was able to restore my document back to where I started and I think I will re-visit the manual to see why I can’t do this very simple thing.

I have essentially blank numberless pages in my document, and to borrow from Scribus, I thought I might “Apply” those as 'Master Pages" over the ones that I want blank. Or try a simple copy-cut and paste.

If I can’t make either of these work and mess up my document again, I’ll create a copy of the document and delete it down to the offending few pages and then we can figure out how to send it as an attachment.

Thanks again,

If you still can’t attach to your question, I’ll give you a email to send to.