Math Input Editor gone haywire

The math input editor has gone haywire. It used to be easy to use. You typed in the bottom window and the equation appeared in the top window.
Now this doesn’t happen. You type in the bottom window, then you have to click the top window to view the equation. Even worse, the editor automatically inserts a tilde (~) when you press the space bar. This makes it impossible to type things like cos x, partial x, etc, as you get a tilde where the space is. Summed up, the editor is now useless.
Any fixes?
I have tried safe mode and it works perfectly well. So what would be messing it up?
Version: 24.2.2.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: d56cc158d8a96260b836f100ef4b4ef25d6f1a01
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22621; UI render: default; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

Does it work in safe mode, *Help - Restart in safe mode - continue in safe mode.

To complete your question, click Help - About LibreOffice , click the icon just after version information to copy details to clipboard. Paste the details into your question. Click the pencil icon on this site to edit your question

Yes, it does work in safe mode. That means there is an extension messing it up. Do I need to delete all my extensions?

It is possible it is caused by extensions but also possibly that it is corruption of the user profile, LibreOffice user profile - The Document Foundation Wiki

OK I haven’t added any extensions. Most likely the user profile then. How do I fix that? I followed links to Wiki but that doesn’t help. Apparently, my PC doesn’t have a file called “LibreOffice”. Nor does it have “appdata”. I’ll need instructions here.

Did you copy and paste into the File Explore window %APPDATA%\libreoffice\4\user or did you do something else?
I don’t know what you have, I repeat the following

Are you sure you are typing in the bottom window? Recently, editing in the graphic window was made the default. But if you click in the bottom window, you will type as before.

Version: 24.2.2.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: d56cc158d8a96260b836f100ef4b4ef25d6f1a01
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22621; UI render: default; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

I’ve found the user profile:
C:\Users\eliot\AppData\Roaming\LibreOffice\4

Now how do I fix it?

Try restarting LO in safe mode and choose Reset to factory settings - see Safe Mode for more detail.