Merge/Unmerge Cells does not work in Calc:Version 24.2.6.2 included in Fedora 40 Work Station edition

I am starting a new topic on this subject because the solutions provided in similar, previous topics seem to fail again.

Trying to merge one cell into a four cell row.
The Format>Merge cells is greyed.
I tried clearing Edit>Edit Mode. Still greyed.
Cleared Edit>Track Changes>Record. The merge cells option was enabled but the file, which had been editable, was now read-only.
When I tried to close the file, the “Changes not saved” warning appeared. I saved it under a new name.

This ‘merge cell’ problem has been long-running. In the Help Notes, there was an admission that it was a problem, which I hoped would be fixed in the next update/version. Hence, my raising the issue again.

Protected sheet?/Protected cells?
Protected document?

Can you upload an ODF type sample file here?

Did you select the strip you want to merge in advance?
For single-range selections of more than on cell also the context menu (RightClick inside) should show an item "Merge Cells".
(This is even the case in protected sheets. Execution is denied then, however.)

Continuing the discussion from Merge/Unmerge Cells does not work in Calc:Version 24.2.6.2 included in Fedora 40 Work Station edition:

Thank you for your replies. It would appear that something in my document is causing the problem.
I opened a new Calc document and created the same scenario, using four cells. The ‘merge cells’ command worked perfectly.
The original document contains confidential information, so it is not possible to submit it, as it stands.
I will do more investigation and post again, if I can find the cause of the problem.

The ‘Edit>Track Changes>Record’ box, when selected, seems to be the cause of my problem.
I cannot explain the change to ‘Read Only’ mode, as described above.
Anyway, I’ll regard that as a fix.
Thanks for your help.