Mouseover Vocab

Alrighty. So I write books. One of my book genres is military and I tend to use terminology that not everyone might understand.

In book one, I did footnotes, linked, to the bottom of the page the word was on.

On book 2 I realized (and remembered) what a pain in the butt this was for book one. It just takes too damn long and I have other things I would rather be doing.

I am looking for alternatives. I thought about a mouseover. But instead of the definition just being there when they mouse over the word, they have to actually click the word and then get the definition, click it again, and it goes away. Can I do this in Libre Office Writer? Or perhaps someone else has another suggestion.

I thought of doing a Terminology Section at the end of the book and then just linking back and forth like you would with a footnote. However, there might be like 50 mentions of one word throughout the book. I can’t imagine a way of linking page 5 to term page then back to page 5, all the while linking page 15 with the same term to the term page, and then back to page 15. In fact, that just boggled my brain lol.

Any ideas? I am on like page 45 and I have something like 100 pages to go and I am ready to pull my hair out!!!

Make a glossary of terms at the end of your document. Select each definition, insert bookmark, name the bookmark (like, use the term).

In the body text, use footnotes. Insert - Footnotes/Endnotes. In the footnote area, don’t enter the definition, just Insert - Cross-reference, select Bookmarks, select the right bookmark, select Reference to display the definition instead of the page number. Play with it.

If this answer helped you, please vote it with :heavy_check_mark: (here on the left). That will help other people with the same question.