Moving objects off the page

Hello there! Is possible to move objects partially off the page in LibreOffice Writer?

Right now, it seems it is impossible to drag objects outside the page, as shown in this screenshot. I’m not sure if this is a bug though, or if this is correct functionality.

I am aware that I can achieve objects partially off the page in both Microsoft Word and Apple Pages. Below is a screenshot from Apple Pages.

Below is what I want to achieve (screenshot from Apple Pages).

Text box partially off the page in Apple Pages

Thanks!

Edit your question to describe what effect you want to achieve with offset “objects”. There is probably a consistent solution with existing features.

You can do that in Draw but Draw is not suitable for long documents as it relies on text boxes which have very limited features.

In Writer you can have text in a single cell table and set the table to -x.xx cm form Left so some of it will be off the page but if you try to change it with a mouse it will move to start at page edge.

If you want Crop and Bleed then look to Scribus.

There is way to fake crop in Draw, see in extensions Crop mark

The primary goal of Writer is to display all objects in the document. Consequently, Writer will make sure that the bounding rectangle around an “object” remains inside the page, either from manual drag or from setting the coordinates in some dialog.

PS: it is usually a bad idea to use a text box for side notes. A text box is a Drawing Object and formatting possibilities are rather limited, not speaking of the non-standard “cohabitation rules” with text. Prefer a frame which creates a “sub-document” with full formatting features and a better control on interaction with main text flow.

As you observe, Writer indeed is not conceived to offer the possibility to have part of a frame (in this case one containing an image) off the page. It is not a bug (“programming error”), it is how it is currently implemented.

In case of a picture, you still could achieve the effect you are after by cropping the picture on the left then move the frame to the margin.