MS Word document opens as blank in LO Writer

I have to use this website that provide its reports (only) in MS-Word format. When I open the docx file with MS-Word it is shown but when I open it with LO-Writer I get a blank page.

• MS-Word is from Office 2016.
  • LibreOffice info is:
    Version: 7.3.6.2
    Build ID: 30(Build:2)
    CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 5.19; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
    Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
    Calc: threaded
  • On a Dell Inspiron laptop running Linux Fedora 36
    11ef29cce0_report.docx (114.2 KB)

Please upload here a reduced and anonymized file in which the problem is present.
To do this, click on the three dots or the pencil, or the edit icon under your initial question. What is available.
In the edit mode of the question, select the upload icon.
Select your file and click the Upload button.
Thank you.

Such documents are not (yet) supported in Writer (I filed tdf#151080); I think that it’s unlikely it would be implemented soon (unless there’s some enterprise that needs that and funds the development).

1 Like

As a workaround, open the file with a file archiver (??zip) and open the subfile word\afchunk.mht.

Subfile afchunk.mht seems to come from some email utility as it is a MIME multipart file. There is a text/html file describing a <table> and an image/png in vase64 encoding following it.
Strictly speaking this is not a .docx document but something wrapped in a .docx container. Even if you succeed extracting the two parts I mentioned above, they are not basic data meant to be managed by Writer.

I’ve uploaded an example, anonymized, report as downloaded from the website.
The content is in Hebrew, that is using heb letters, right-to-left paragraph direction, etc.
Thanks!

Thanks a lot guys!
Following your comments and suggestions, I had a clue - what’s the problem and what to look for.
@LeroyG, it turned out that an application that can open ‘mht’ files can handle these kind of .docx (no need to extract the .mht component).
The hard work was to find such an application (wouldn’t try chrome as I’m not a fan of google) - finally I’ve found a tip that mhtml files are the same as eml files so … Thunderbird came to the rescue and it even enables me to copy-paste tables while keeping the formatting properties.

1 Like

Glad you found a solution. But this site is not a forum hosting conversations. It is a Question & Answers, promoting a format where there is one question per topic and perhaps several proposed solutions. Everything else (comments, additional info rquest, feedback, …) must go to comments. So, please, repost your last additions as comments and (only after you’ve done that) delete your non-answers.

I’d treat as the last one being the solution.

1 Like