MS Word Endnote in-text citations deleted upon import into LibreOffice

Hi all,

I’m using LibreOffice on Ubuntu 12.04 and I need to import documents that were created on MS Word (on a Mac, saved in .doc format) and that contain citations created with EndNote.

The problem is that while the bibliography at the end of the document is fine, all the in-text citation fields have disappeared. I am using the Zotero plugin (v.3), and have also tried the Mendeley plugin.

I have tried setting the document preferences of the Zotero plugin to Format Using → Bookmarks, but that doesn’t help since they are already gone upon opening.

There is no way around having to open documents originally created in this way because I have to work together with other people that won’t switch software. Any hints are appreciated!

For those who don’t know the software, here’s a blurb from their homepage:

EndNote is the industry standard software tool
for publishing and managing bibliographies, citations and references
on the Windows and Macintosh desktop.

@uliB – Your question seems to boil down to this:

  • Is there a way to use LO on GNU/Linux to interoperate with Word docs that contain embedded Endnote citations?


  1. Do the Zotero or Mendeley plugins make any claims of interoperability with Evernote?
  2. How are the in-text citation fields formatted?
  3. Are the citation fields missing from the document, or just not visible/obscured/etc…? (no worries if you’re not able to answer this last one)

Thanks for your reply. (1) I don’t need to edit the citations (I doubt that would work across programs), they just have to stay intact. (2) They are formatted in the style of ‘Cell’. (3) The citations seem to be gone completely.

I now found out that when the original file is opened with MS Word (Word Starter 2010) on a PC and saved as .docx or .odt, I can see the in-text citation. However, the reference list is now degraded to ordinary text (no fields any more). If it’s saved in the same way as .doc, all is like before.

Hi @uliB,

The LO devs take data loss quite seriously. If the in-text citations are actually gone when the .doc file is opened with LO, then it sounds like we might have an issue with the import filter.

If installing the latest release doesn’t seem to fix the import problem, please file a bug and provide a list of steps that can reproduce it. The QA team will be happy to help you track down this issue!

Please post a link to any bugs you file in a comment below using the format “fdo#123456”.