My libre office writer and calc new and existing files will not open

Lately my libre office writer and calc (spreadsheet) icon will not open a new file for me. Also, exisiting files will not open. Do I need an update? Or?

It would help a great deal if you would tell us what your operating system is (Windows, Linux, …) and which version of it, and which version of LO are you using. Also, by which method do you attempt to open a file – from the “recent files” list, from your file manager, from an icon on your desktop, from … ?

Hello, On my PC I have Windows 10 Version 1803. When I need a new file I use the Libre icons on the desktop, whether writer or calc. For existing files I have always gone to folders on my desktop or from my my document folders. I never use the recents option.

What exactly happens when you click an existing file?

It tries to open it, the little circle on the screen turns and then stops, and the file does not open.

The same happens no matter which method I try

Hello, any further assistance available please?

Could you please answer the question from @ve3oat about your LibreOffice version.

I am inexperienced in using this website. I cannot see the unanswered question.

It’s the first comment after your question details.

In any case, what is your LibreOffice version, please?

Not sure how to find out, but in the properties it says Libre Office 5

I figured it out Libre 5 is correct

BigRAl, I am going on holidays in a few days so I may not see your replies until return. Thank you for your assistance in advance.
Perhaps I should be downloading a newer version of Libre for documents and spreadsheets?

See if any of the info in this AskLibreOffice question is helpful.

I have answered all you questions, but keep receiving requests to answer. I downloaded Libre Office 6 yesterday, have no clue where it is on my computer, but anyway the LO icon and and my files are opening. Thank you, hopefully all good now.