Need assistance to get webp image into libreoffice impress with impress adding a background to it

hello,
I insert an image (webp) into impress black image with transparency and it will flip it, transparency is now black and the black image is now transparent.

I thought I was doing something wrong but the image opens in gimp, firefox, exactly like is should.

I also opened the image in Draw and the image is flipped just like impress

I converted the file to png and impress does not change it.

I read that libreoffice was suppose to support webp, but either I misread the info or …

I do not want to convert tons of images to png just to use in impress, so what am I doing wrong?

Thanks
example.odp (31.9 KB)
would not allow me to upload webp file, even tried to trick it with “.png” still would not allow it.

Libreoffice:

Version: 24.2.1.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: db4def46b0453cc22e2d0305797cf981b68ef5ac
CPU threads: 16; OS: Linux 6.5; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Flatpak
Calc: threaded

1 Like

Who knows?

Please attach a sample of the webp image, and the Impress sample file, without private information,
and paste the information in Menu/Help/About LibreOffice, there is a copy icon.

Please click Help > About LibreOffice and click the icon just after the words version information to copy details and paste into your question.

I can’t see any difference in Impress, Draw and GIMP. See attached file.
Transparent text in black rectangle.

Version: 24.2.1.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 420(Build:2)
CPU threads: 2; OS: Linux 5.15; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: de-DE (de_DE.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Ubuntu package version: 4:24.2.1~rc2-0ubuntu0.22.04.1~lo1
Calc: threaded

EDIT
I have to correct myself. I downloaded the following image (colored dice):
URL: WebP-Bildgalerien  |  Google for Developers
Download link: https://www.gstatic.com/webp/gallery3/3_webp_ll.webp
Results:

• Chromium/Chrome/Edge/Firefox: grey background, seems to be sort of transparent (same as png)
  • LibreOffice (Impress/Draw/Writer): realistic preview, defectively displayed
  • GIMP: well displayed, can compress when exporting
  • Xviewer: well displayed
1 Like

Hello Grantler,
The real issue is, the text is black and the background is actually transparent. When you pull the image from libreoffice it changed it.

I have attached my copies of the original webp in firefox, gimp, image view (Ubuntu), and Inkscape

You are right: I produced a webp Image and inserted it in Draw: properties changed dramtically!
As stated in my last comment: The import of webp images in LibreOffice is not correct. Only the preview is okay.

Please report a bug, How to Report Bugs in LibreOffice - The Document Foundation Wiki

1 Like