Need assistance with an "IF" formula/function, please?!

I’m trying to create a rewards’ spreadsheet for customer purchases. If they pay cash, they will get credit for the amount (does not include tax); if paying via credit/debit card, a fee is deducted from purchase price (2%, for now). I’m wanting an “IF” formula for entering whether cash or cc/debit?

AMT PURCHASED TAX TOTAL PD W/CASH PD W/CC/DEBIT PAY CASH PAY CC/DEBIT

$40.00       $2.60     $42.60  YES/NO   YES/NO   $40.00   $39.20

I have formulas for cash/cc/debit and have tried numerous “IF” formulas, but nothing is working for me. I just want to be able to enter whether cash or cc/debit and the amount pops up. I will be doing running totals, so I only want 1 payment to show.

(Customer will pay $42.60, but, in order to receive punches, the running total will not include tax, nor the 2% credit card fee.)

Any help is certainly appreciated!

=IF(W/CASH reference="YES";TOTAL reference*.98;TOTAL reference)

…or without IF() =((W/CASH reference="YES")*0.2+0.98)*TOTAL reference (is written a little shorter, but the result is the same)

@JohnSUN, I still don’t fully understand your formula, but it looks interesting. Changed = by <> and 0.2 by 0.02.

Maybe =((W/CASH reference<>"YES")*0.02+0.98)*TOTAL reference

• =((D10<>"YES")*0.02+0.98)*E9 Not shorter, but may be more efficient.
  • =IF(D10="YES";E9*0.98;E9)

@LeroyG Just a typo, an annoying typo - you’re right, one zero is missing and ="NO". And about the length of the formula, you are also right - the option without IF () will be a little shorter only if we refer to data on another sheet (if the sheet name is also included in the reference). I guess my head was on vacation when I wrote the comment …

my head was on vacation

:slight_smile:

@JohnSUN, I just understood your formula. It’s great the idea of TRUE|FALSE*0.02!

@getti, I just put your data in a spreadsheet, and the issue is not clear for me.

If the customer pays in cash, they pay $ 40; but if with credit/debit card, $ 39.20? Your question seems to say the opposite.

Please, click edit below your question to add more information. Thanks.

[EDIT] You can combine writing paper or leaving empty for plastic in a column, then use =IF(D2="paper";A2;A2*0.98). Replace in the formula the word paper for another do you think would be the best for your practice (I would use 1).

See sample file modified. [edit end]

Assuming that column A and row 2 are the first with data, and if the customer pays in cash they get -2% on the amount purchased without taxes, you can use the next formula:

=IF(D2="YES";A2*0.98;A2), or (adapting @JohnSUN idea) =A2*(1-0.02*(D2="YES"))

See sample file.

Tested with LibreOffice 6.4.7.2 (x86); OS: Windows 6.1.

Add Answer is reserved for solutions. If you think the answer is not satisfactory, add a comment below, or click edit (below your question) to add more information. Thanks.

Check the mark (Answer markCorrect answer mark) to the left of the answer that solves your question.

You are amazing! First time I’ve been on this site - didn’t think I’d get a response, so THANK YOU!!! I need a little more time to study your responses, but, based on your info, this is what I have and it should work. If you have something that would simplify, please let me know. Such as, instead of having 2 cells (cash & cc/debit), could combine into one & just indicate which payment and the amount pops up?

$40.00 $2.60 $42.60 YES $0.00 $40 $0.00
=IF(D2=“YES”,A2, 0)

$40.00 $2.60 $42.60 $0.00 YES $0.00 $39.20
=IF(E2=“YES”,A2-(A2*0.02),0)

Thanks for the new information. Since it doesn’t answer the question, please, edit your question, and paste it there.

Or re-post it as a comment. To do that, hover on “more” (just above these comments), and press “repost as comment under older answer” / “repost as comment under question”. Thanks again.

Then delete your answer, because it doesn’t solve your question.