Need help with creating a function to find last entry and can't make INDEX work

This is my sheet of data and it will cover the whole year. On another sheet, I want to display the last entry in the WC End column (E column) for each project labeled in the Project ID column (C column). The Date Column is just text because I couldn’t follow the directions to change it to function searchable data, but the Day column (A column) is already set up with the number of days this year. If I work on multiple projects on a single day, they each get a row labeled with same number but different project IDs and different word counts.

I’ve been trying to use INDEX and MATCH and the function wizard tells everything is correct with green check marks, but the answer that comes out is a zero. Which is not a number in the E column at all. I used MAXA which gave me the largest number in the column, but I couldn’t figure out how to limit it by Project ID or Day.

I’m so confused because it seems like an easy thing to have sorted out and I don’t even know if I’m using the best functions to get there. HELP! :sob:

This is a spreadsheet. Contrary to popular misconceptions, a spreadsheet is NOT a database. If you store record sets in a spreadsheet, the pivot table is the most database-ish feature you can get.

Return the last value in a column

1 Like

Hallo
use ⇒Data⇒Pivottable⇒create…
drag&drop Project ID into »Rowfields«
drag&drop WC End into »Datafields« …doubleclick change to MAX
⇒ok
done!

Thank you! I have never used a pivot table before, so I didn’t know about that feature.