New installation of LibreOffice installed horrible file extension icons

I was a happy user of LO 7.3 for last few years, and I (unfortunately?) decided to upgrade. Program works fine – but it changed all the filesystem icons (the new .xls, .doc icons are horrible, funny enough .ppt is OK, but I think it’s because it’s still tied to MSOffice).
How do I get my old (7.3 style) icons back, withouth installing suspicious 3rd party programs? Windows 11.
Google’d, DuckDuck’ed, all point to either articles from 2018 (same as this page, where it’s either Windows 10 or talks about the toolbar icons) or suggest to install suspicious software.
I’d like my old filesystem (File Manager) icons back.

These new horrible .xls icons:

Plus, it’s was rather annoying that I had to create yet-another account, just to open this Q. Suggestion: allow asking questions via LibreOffice itself? It’s 21st century after all :wink:
Sorry, I’m grumpy. Icons.

You laugh, seńor, but my eyes are hurting. Who invented an icon “let’s just put all the green stuff into a tiny space”. Ugh.

Introduced in tdf#132398.

1 Like

This is intentional. It’s a reminder to always store your work in the native file format of the application you are using and convert to foreign formats when absolutely needed.

1 Like

… huh? The application icons are a reminder to store in native file formats? :slight_smile: I think it’s a joke. This is just a new icon design, and has no back thought in it, other than some design team consensus on what they believe the best icon set for a new version.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, since most of the “answers” here were “stop whining, and use the old 7.3 again” (and only Mike’s answer was explaining what is going on - thank you Mike), I decided to follow the Google method and use a (potentially unwanted) 3rd party application. The one I used is called “FileTypesMan” (free, from NirSoft) and changed the icons to those offered by MS Excel and MS Word binaries (for a source of the icon, go to your MS Office directory and pick excel.exe or winword.exe). Not the best outcome but I can live with it.
However - maybe anyone could point me in the right direction - how could I reconfigure it to use my old LibO6 MIME icons (File:LibO6 MIME.svg - The Document Foundation Wiki)? These are not available in soffice.bin/.exe files (LO 7.5).

You should open doc(x), xls(x), ppt(x) with MS Office anyway. Why this circumstance?

2 Likes

You can trust the NirSoft Tools, Microsoft bought the company. But as usual: Check where you download.

Just try. Most older methods work, as it is not important in the registry, if MS puts round edges at windows…

You can steal from a backup of your system, if you have. Otherwise older versions of LibreOffice are also available on the download-page. Just scroll down to the hint to use the “archive”.

Appreciate the suggestion - but on the Download Archive I can only download .msi installer files, not the sole soffice.exe (or .ico/.dll), where I could get my lovely old filesystem icons.

[update] I downloaded the whole massive 332MB MSI (just to get some icons…), tried to open it using another set of potentially unwanted 3rd party software (LessMSI - Windows blocked opening that software, had to manipulate the Quarantine settings, which you won’t be able to do if you don’t have admin priviledges on your computer), finally was able to extract old (LO7.3) versions of scalc.exe and swriter.exe and use that previously mentioned FileTypesMan tool to set the icons. All took me a good part of the hour to configure. smh
And now also it seems I need to keep both of those two old scalc/swriter files somewhere on my filesystem (forever?) just to be able to have proper, old, nice icons across reboots, across LO upgrades.

So to summarize: if you want old style of filesystem icons, you need to download 300MB of old LibreOffice, install two (potentially unwanted) pieces of software, and forever keep two old .exe files just so the system can find the old nice-looking icons after the next inevitable LO upgrade.

Note to developers – guys, why did you make it so difficult for normal users? Why not give the user a choice “do you want new, high-visibility filesystem icons, or do you prefer old ones”? Don’t make our lives miserable. Each user has their own design preference. I’m a boomer, I prefer my old icons. Giving us a choice is never a bad thing. Forcing us to adopt something - usually is.

You would be surprised… The “why are there so many settings” group is also quick to complain. For Linux we have gnome (minimalistic choices) vs KDE (tweak everything), but it is the same everywhere.

1 Like

… and also users forget that the “never a bad thing” requires work. Not a one-time work to (1) add new icons keeping old ones (so, introduce new identifiers, make sure to not introduce conflicts), (2) add options to installer, so that it provides the choice to users, and writes different registry values to refer to the chosen icons; but also continuous work to keep the multiplying icon sets in sync with changing requirements - when users say “your icons look pixelated on my shiny new OS that uses 1024 pixel icons; go and create new sizes to please it”…

The extra complexity is not only “never a bad thing”, but also always is a source of more bugs/complaints. And who must do it is … volunteers, not someone paid for their work.

So to answer “why”: because this is the amount of work that makes volunteer developer’s work pleasing. And what you wanted is not so.

A tip: MSIs are easily opened by 7-Zip (if you use it).
Another tip: the old ICO files are available separately in the commit in the bug that I referenced above.

https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/143885

Opening this page, you will see the list of the ICO files. There is a EXPAND ALL button that allows to see all the ICO images; or you may click on each file’s header’s arrow down to expand individually. Clicking on the file name would open the page which allows to download either left, or right variant.

1 Like

@mikekaganski already showed you an easier way, but if you wish to use only system tools try google with:

powershell extract icon file from msi

and you may find something like:

PS: and you could use a backup. If you don’t have one, consider changing this.

PPS: Consider to keep the files you used to install (I keep an archive in my downloads-folders). Sometimes the original msi is needed to remove software and you avoid your

Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn’t it be easy just to offer those icons (both old and new) in the soffice.exe file? Just like shell.dll has hundreds of icons in it (so users can customize their look), soffice.exe only has ~10 icons (and only the new ones). Would it be difficult to keep ~30 icons (both the new high-visibility ones, but also the older ones) in that file? Yes, that would still force the user to get the FileTypesMan-like application to be able to change anything (due to limitations of Windows 11 that honestly I wasn’t aware of), but users of older Windows plaftorms wouldn’t have so much hassle (it was way easier to change default extension icons there). Again, perhaps I have no idea how it works and how difficult it would be.

This - this is splendid! Thank you very much.

Whoa, way too advanced for me :slight_smile: Thank you, will read that, wonder how much will I comprehend.
(I see that there is “download Get-Icon” at the end but I’d rather understand what it does - and how - beforehand)

Easier said than done if your laptop has a 250GB hard drive. :slight_smile:
(yes, external USB hard drives - but I leave mine at home, work-travel really a lot and don’t want to carry it with me, even if for safety reasons)

Just having them in the EXE would be easy, yes - if you do not use those older ones in any way in the program.

But this immediately creates the concern about bloat. Because it is exactly that. If only it was used somehow in the program, it would be justifiable - but not in this case. And the increased binary / installer size (even by a few hundred kilobytes) would immediately be caught, and the developers would be tarred and feathered.

I get the “bloating” idea. But, perhaps, just a (new?) file sicons.dll (or similar; easy to figure-out-what-it-is name, with ‘s’ in front to keep it consistent, those few hundred kilobytes) with the contents of the https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/143885 webpage you’ve offered? That page is the bomb - but perhaps it would be easier for future users to have it in the package (or perhaps not, perhaps I’m the only person on the planet with that ‘problem’ – and they can google their problem, and perhaps they will find this exact webpage to solve it, instead of ancient 2018 ones).

I suggest you just create a package with those icons, and provide such a ZIP in your blog - that is a reasonable idea to have it, but not a reasonable pastime for LibreOffice developers. Everything is open in the open source project; everyone can contribute; such a package would be a nice contribution from someone really interested in this piece.

I decided to follow your suggestion, and did just that: How to get the old icons back.
Hopefully it’ll help another boomer in their search for old-but-good icons :slight_smile:

1 Like