New to Base, Is this the right program?

I’m new to database software, So i’m trying to see if this is the right way to go to solve my problem.

I’m working with data for Automotive parts. Currently, i’m using an excel sheet, where each vehicle has it’s own worksheet. On these sheets is a customer ID, a list of parts, and relevant information for ordering those parts (Source, SKUs, order information, etc) if a customer has more than one vehicle in the shop, the customer ID is used on both worksheets.

This worked for the small scale, but it’s gotten to the point where this is cumbersome and time-consuming. I’ve taken a few tries at this so far, But since each record in a table requires a unique ID, and the only way i’ve figured to make this work is by making each part it’s own record, I’m having some difficulty. I could give each part it’s own number, but that seems like the wrong way to go.

My end goal is to have a way to look up parts by it’s status (Need, ordered, received), Customer ID, or by part name. Is Base the software for this problem, or am I looking at the wrong option?

Yes, Base in conjunction with some professional database might be a good solution. Virtually every professional solution for book keeping, inventories and warehousing is based on some type of database.
However, building up a professional database is far from trivial. Base is NOT a database. Base is a small set of tools to work with databases, a so called database frontend. First you design a database to store all your data in a certain schema, then you can use Base (or other frontends) to access the database in meaningful ways.

Okay, good to know I’m on the right track. Can you recommend any resources for learning this stuff?

English documentation