No 'Internet Link' character style present to set hyperlink color as desired

I frequently compose a document using black Page background. However, the default hyperlink color of LibreOffice is dark blue, which makes it difficult to see. I’d like to set the color to something brighter.

I followed the instruction by ajlittoz at How do I change color of hyperlink background? - #2 by ajlittoz, as follows:

……… you have internet links (like http://example.com 5 or mailto:webmaster@web.example.com) which are automatically recognised

These links are automatically highlighted with character style Internet Link. By default, this style causes a font color change and underlining.

Customise the style to change its appearance.

1. Open the style side-pane with F11
  2. Click on the second toolbar icon from left (character styles)
  3. Right-click on Internet Link and change the attributes

The problem, however, was I couldn’t find the character style named Internet Link at all. I have attached a screenshot image below, showing this problem. The LibreOffice version is Version 24,8,1,2 (x86_64).

Thanks and best regards

2 Likes

Dear [mikekaganski]

Thanks so much for your quick reply. Your kind effort to communicate via picture is easily understandable. It’s also my fault to not carefully read the mentioned [ajlittoz]‘s advice:

“2. Click on the second toolbar icon from left (character styles)”

Dear [ajlittoz] clearly specified second (horizontal) toolbar icon from left. However, I just clicked the second icon (Style icon) on the rightmost vertical toolbar, and mistakenly thought that Internet Link is included among Paragraph styles.

When I saw your illustration, I clearly knew instantly what to do. And re-reading ajlittoz‘s advice helped me realise my somewhat carelessness.

Thanks and best regards.

This list you show displays paragraph styles, as reported by the white-highlighted icon in the style toolbar. Character styles are shown after clicking on the second icon from left.

I remind you that Writer formats text according to a layered model. The deepest layer is paragraph style dealing with “geometry” (spacing, indents, alignment, background, borders, …). The intermediate layer is dedicated to character style (font properties) which also overrides the default character style defined in the paragraph style. The top layer is where direct formatting operates (and overrides everything).

The style toolbar allows access to all style categories: paragraph, character, frame, page, list and, unfortunately, “table” which are not styles like the others by macro launchers playing with direct formatting only.

1 Like

Dear [ajlittoz]

Thanks for your quick reply, and also detailed useful information to educate me. Actually, it’s my fault not to read the mentioned advice of yours carefully. “2. Click on the second toolbar icon from left (character styles)”, and hence can’t find the Internet Link character style.

I saw a few of your advice here at ask,libreoffice.org. You’re kind to give people detailed and informative advice. I appreciate your laborious effort.

Actually, both [mikekaganski]'s and your answer are the solution. I’d like to mark both ad the solution; but the system let me mark only one, and. [Mikekaganski]’s advice was the first reply.

Thanks and best regards

This is no answer to your initial question. You should have used a comment instead. If possible, repost as a comment, then delete the “non answer”.

Visited Internet Link should be listed in the character styles (perhaps, you selected Applied Styles instead of Hierarchical or All Styles or a similar general category.

Visited Internet Link is substituted to Internet Link by Writer once you Ctrl-click on a hyperlink. Therefore, you don’t see any “visited” styling until you follow an hyperlink.

You can customise Visited Internet Link the same as you do for any style.

This is a re-post of the deleted post above (The deleted post above is because I posted in a wrong place, i.e. I’d like to ask one more question, but posted in ‘Suggest a Solution’)

One more question please.
I didn’t see Visited Internet Link as one of the character styles. But I saw some mentions of Internet Link and Visited Internet Link. Am I missing something?
I’d like to experiment making them different (like links in Google search, in which a link changes to remind you that the link has already been visited). Of course, this is not a search results. In my own documents, it really doesn’t matter to know what links have already been visited. But I’d like to know how to differentiate (Unvisited) links and Visited links, just for the purpose of increasing my IT knowledge.
Thanks and best regards

Information sharing:

1. To create Internet Link via AutoCorrect. (Google website is used as an example)

www.google.com OK (I just pressed spacebar after the text, then the link was created)

https://google.com OK (Also OK if I just used http instead of https)

Note: In the above example, if I did not put ,com in the text and pressed spacebar, link created would be invalid as it didn’t contain .com. Yes. link was created, but invalid (When trying to open the link, there was an error saying “Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site”). However, the link changed color to indicate it as Visited Internet Link.

If I just typed the text google (and with .com after the text google), then link was not created. Once I pressed space bar, the text com was deleted (i.e.the text would become just google)

1. To visit a website, you may either:

2.1) Touch and hold on the link and select Open Hyperlink. This is convenient for a tablet with no keyboard attached (I quite often use my tablet standing on o table using its own built-in kickstand, with no keyboard attached). However, the link would not change color as defined in Visited Internet Link. I spent quite some time wondering why the Visited Internet Link style wouldn’t seem to work. However, it turned out that the style would actually work, but I’d have to use Ctrl + Click.as stated in 2.2) below.

2.2) Ctrl + Click (or tap) on the link,. This method will change the Link’s color to what defined in Visited Internet Link.

Thanks for the kind advice I received, and best regards to you all.

@Sunny_ptm : regarding your item 1
“Link” recognition is purely “morphological”. It does not check if the URL effectively points to an existing resource. A character sequence will turn into an hyperlink if it contains a scheme (a word before : – every scheme other than http, https and mailto is prefixed with file:///) then either // with at least one “word”, or something looking like an email address (i.e. a word, “@” and a server name containing at least one “word”).

Dea ajlittoz
Thanks again for your informative post
I posted ‘Information sharing’ above so as it might help some other users their time (or from being doubtful). When you get some help, don’t forget to help others.

1. For example, while they may type just google.com into a web browser ‘s address bar, and hit ‘Enter’, the browser will understand and take them to Google .com website. However, in Writer, if they type the same text and press ‘Enter’ (or spacebar), the said text won’t be convert to be a hyperlink. To illustrate, open a new blank document, type googledotcom on the first line, Hit ‘Enter’. The texr will remain unchanged. Now, type the same googledotcom on the second line, and hit ‘Enter’. They’ll see that the dotcom portion is deleted from the second line (i.e. the text will only be google)
    ** Note: **: In actual typing, they should replace dot with period. To overcome the limitation of being allowed only 2 links in my post, I can’t use the ‘period’ punctuation, otherwise it will be counted as a link; thus exceeding my quota

2. I spent some time wondering why the Visited Internet Link character style didn’t seem to work (i.e. the visited link didn’t change color). I visited a link by touching and holding (an equivalent of right clicking of mouse), and then selected ‘Open Hyperlink’ from the pop-up menu. After some recollection, I then tried the ‘Ctrl + click (tap)’ method only to find out that the visited link indeed changed color.

Still, I found LibreOffice to be very powerful and customisable

Again, thanks for kind and informative advice, and best regards to all.