No shortcut for track changes

Hello there,

Just upgraded to 7.3 and libreoffice writer has no shortcut to record changes (edit > track changes > record). Before they had the Ctrl + Shift + E ; then the Ctrl + Shift + C; and now nothing?
In shortcuts, the only option I see is the ‘show track changes function’, although this shortcut doesn’t do anything. I guess it’s supposed to bring a menu to show / record changes, etc, but it doesn’t.
Because of my work I need a shortcut for such function. Do you know how to add a shortcut? Am I missing something?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Tools>Customize, Keyboard tab

1 Like

Yes, done that. No option to “track changes” or “record changes”.

Screenshot_1 - 2022.png…

Version: 7.3.0.3 (x86) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 0f246aa12d0eee4a0f7adcefbf7c878fc2238db3
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22000; UI render: Skia/Vulkan; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (de_DE); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

Thanks! I though “record” was the rec.text option only. I was expecting a “record changes”, not 2 “record” with different functions :wink:

1 Like

You might find it convenient to display the Track Changes toolbar, View > Toolbars > Track Changes

This opens the Track Changes toolbar at the bottom of the pane above the status bar

It would be great for the “Track Changes” shortcut to simply be re-enabled by default (Ctrl+Shift+E like it used to be, or whatever else, as long as it is displayed in the dialog menu next to the function with a name that users intuitively find and recognize. Renaming it to “record” causes users not to find it anymore).

Use “Keyboard Shortcuts” extension to add track changes (Ctrl + Shift + E) and others.

1 Like

No. It was tdf#130847, and it caused much user confusion.

If I understand it correctly: tdf#130847 was about a confusion with ctrl+c (which I guess is understandable, if someone doesn’t realize they hit the shift-key, too, although the only way I could see that happening on accident would be if caps-lock is enabled, which might be fixable), not ctrl+shift+E.

Did you read down to comment 11, where I mentioned the issues where the respective changes were made, which clarify why Ctrl+Shift+E was replaced (a hint: not without a reason)?

Thanks for the reply, Mike!
I did and and all it says is:
" See bug 86183 (which implemented Ctrl+Shift+E for the shortcut); bug 116098 (which made it Ctrl+Shift+C); code pointer in bug 134151 comment 3."

Forgive me, but it sounds very cryptic to me and doesn’t provide any plain English explanation for what the issue was (other than that in one case, the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+E was implemented and then it was changed to Ctrl+Shift+C - or the other way round). I also looked up the linked bug 18183, referenced in that comment and all that one says - the way I understand it - is that Ctrl+Shift+E will be implemented as the shortcut to track changes (which sounds great to me).

I am still confused as to why for LibreOffice none of the options (Ctrl+Shift+E, Ctrl+Shift+C or Ctrl+Shift+M) supposedly are viable, when this is not an issue for other word processing applications.

I guess I am missing something that’s’ probably implied somewhere…

To be more precise: I kind of get how some users have an issue with Ctrl+Shift+C (assuming they have caps-lock on, otherwise I don’t know why someone would add the shift-key to copy), but not where the problem was with Ctrl+Shift+E and Ctrl+Shift+M, which, if I understand these bug logs correctly, were what it was changed to at some point to help the users who would accidentally press shift with Ctrl-C.

What am I missing?

Again: thank you for your clarifications!

The change from Ctrl+Shift+E to Ctrl+Shift+C was done in tdf#116098. It explains that the former didn’t work for some users, likely because they conflicted with the OS / DE shortcuts.

I don’t know which specific other word processing applications you refer to; but if they aren’t similarly cross-platform, working on ~any operating system and ~any desktop manager, it may easily happen that they simply don’t have that problem because they don’t run under that environment.