Non-list paragraph Next Style to list

I frequently write documents consisting of headings (e.g. with style “Heading 1”) followed by an outline (e.g. a numbered list). How can I configure “Heading 1” so that after hitting [Return] the next paragraph is a list, rather than just a normal paragraph?

I have tried modifying the “Heading 1” style: On the “Organizer” tab, setting the “Style :: Next Style” to “List 1” does not work. It does have the next paragraph take on that style, but it is not set to be a “numbered list” as I want.

Edit the Heading 1 paragraph style, open the Organizer tab. Set the Next style to the paragraph style that you want to use.

To show the community that your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers.

I should have said: I tried that. The next paragraph does get the “List 1” style, but not the “numbered list” setting. (I will edit my question to include what I’ve already tried.)

The problem with List n and Numbering n styles is they are not configured out-of-the-box for list. They are indeed intended for such a purpose but no list counter is associated with them.

To fix, modify Numbering 1 (the List n family is supposed to produce a bullet list) Outline & Numbering tab. Select from the Numbering style drop-down menu Numbering 123.

This will cause auto-numbering of any Numbering 1 paragraph.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

Excellent! This does exactly what I want - thank you.