Not installing with default Python script path

I’m struggling with getting started in Python and found that my LO install has set a different path than is documented in pretty-much all tutorials I’ve seen. I’m on Mint and the expected path is:

~/.config/libreoffice/4/user/Scripts/python

But I can’t see any of the scripts located here. The folder does exist and I’ve placed *.py files in there.

The path actually used by Calc is:
~/.var/org.LibreOffice/config/libreoffice/4/user/Scripts/python

I’ve uninstalled LO completely and reinstalled, no luck in resetting that path to the usual default. I get that I could just put up with it but I’d much rather be able to just following the usual examples and guides without the faff. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
… Setup:
LO ver 24.8.0.3
I have the ASTO extension installed and it’s working fine, just with that nuisance path variation.
Linux Mint 22

The path differs between operating systems and/or Linux distributions.

This however surprises me and makes me wonder whether for some reason you’re running LibreOffice as SU if indeed it is using this path.

the .config folder is located in your home folder and generally hidden if you’re trying to browse to it in a file manager; you should be able to see it from the terminal. If you’ve placed files there, it does indeed exist (unless you unexisted it).

Which copy of LibO did you install ?

• LibO copy from LMint catalog
  • LibO FlatHub copy or else
  • LibO copy from TDF

Note it’s ~/.var/ in the $HOME directory, not /var/, that’s the usual path for a per user var directory, not su(do)/root.

menu:Help>About… Click the push button to copy all the info and paste it here.

You might have installed some kind of LibreOffice container. If you want to use all the features, you should install a native version of LibreOffice or tweak the container settings until you get what you need. However, this extra configuration effort is not wanted when using containers.

1 Like

Ahh yes, apologies I missed the “~/”

This is the »default« config-path provided by flatpak-packages therefore the python-scripts go into path:
~/.var/org.LibreOffice/config/libreoffice/4/user/Scripts/python/

1 Like

Thanks folks. It was a Flatpak install, so that would explain it. And yes, I did view hidden files to place my scripts in those folders. I’m curious why Flatpak adopted a different path? From what I’ve found, years of Python tips & guides online will consequently be misleading for we newbies as many reference the other location for scripts.

Here’s the Help | About detail FYI:

Version: 24.8.0.3 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 0bdf1299c94fe897b119f97f3c613e9dca6be583
CPU threads: 12; OS: Linux 6.8; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-AU (en_AU.UTF-8); UI: en-GB
Flatpak
Calc: threaded

The feedback is much appreciated.

Flatpaks are sandboxed to prevent access - it’s by design but a lot of people skip over that detail when deciding to use them.

Wrong thread, indeed.

Wrong thread @Villeroy?

I guess the comment is for this thread: