Not responding when saving calc file

When saving a 278K Calc file it becomes “not responding” on Win 11

It is slow to save, and if I do anything while saving, it get “not responding” crash error. It seems to do this with my larger files, but 278K is not large. I do not have any pictures, have of lot of vlookups. And other threads say that turning off windows indexing fixes it which sounds inappropriate to me. I have upped my autosave to 1 minute which seems to help with not loosing data, but not sure about that, and I am not seeing any issues every minute when autosaving. This has become an intolerable situation.

Version: 24.2.5.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: bffef4ea93e59bebbeaf7f431bb02b1a39ee8a59
CPU threads: 12; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22631; UI render: default; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

Win 11 Home
12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-1255U 1.70 GHz
16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable) with 60% being used and 60% if 1Tb HD used

or don’t have ?

odt or xslx ?
how many cells ?

what with other files ?
etc etc

There are no references to outside files, neither vlookups or hyperlinks or anything.
278Kb is the size of the file
I might have started the file as an odt but it is now an xlsx
11 sheets, 33,462 cells, 182 pages, 7 formula groups.
The size of the looked up ranges are 700, 1010 and 1055 rows tall

As the workbook got larger, the time for the file saving progress bar to complete grew exponentially, and when it gets stuck, it only progresses part of the way. And like I mentioned earlier, it has no problem autosaving, just Ctrl+S or File>Save.

risky.

https://help.libreoffice.org/latest/en-US/text/shared/guide/ms_import_export_limitations.html

maybe keep an eye on tdf#133603

Please test in safe mode, Menu/Help/Restart in Safe Mode

OK. So if it is problematic to be switching evolutionary versions of a file between XLSX and ODT formats, is there a preferred format. There are times when I will not be sharing documents with others and would use the best, and times when sharing with the corporate world and they may not recognize or care for ODT format and would start and continue with XLSX.

Yes and no. For LibreOffice Calc ods is the native format, everything else is imported when opening and exported when closing a file. But the same is true for .xlsx and Excel.
If you need to work with people using Excel, my guess is your are better use .xlsx to share data, as MS is less motivated to support .ods. But on the other hand they have a lot of money to spend, if they like.
In my case, I use .odt/.ods, but I don’t get back most of my files. So export is my preferred way to send data to Excel-users. Bur your needs may be different…