Numbers Appearing in front of Heading 3 Style

Libre Office Writer 7.3.4.2 running on Mac OS 12.4. Numbers are appearing in front of Heading Style 3. I can delete them manually, but they re-appear. I have tried editing this style, and it says line numbering is off. Indeed, line numbering is not on anywhere in the document (that I know of). They do not show up in Headings 1 and 2. I am using Headings 1, 2 and 3 in a Table of Contents. I’ve tried everything I can think of by reading the online documentation and the user manual to try to fix this but I am stumped. Thanks in advance for any insight you might provide.

Never mind. Figured it out by clicking just before number. Seems like an odd UI choice that setting to differ from what is shown in Styles menu.

You may have inadvertently activated list numbering by pressing a numbering button in the toolbar (or its keyboard shortcut equivalent). This added extra formatting which is not recorded in the style (there are 3 independent layers of formatting in Writer: paragraph style, character style and direct formatting).

In case you need to number your chapters, never press the numbering buttons. You’ll create conflicts and incompatibilities with the reserved chapter numbering feature you can tune with Tools>Chapter Numbering.

Line numbering has nothing to do with list or chapter numbering. Line numbering is used in some legal documents, like patent application, to create a global line reference system.