Numbers left-aligned and recognized as text in Calc

I have a tab delimited spreadsheet, saved as .txt, that I created with an earlier version of LibreOffice (5.0). I’ve now installed LibreOffice 6.4, and when I open this spreadsheet, all numbers containing decimals - indicated with a period - are left aligned in their cells, as if they were text. In some columns, the left aligned number is preceded by an apostrophe in the formula field, but in other columns, the left aligned number is not preceded by such an apostrophe. I’ve tried various things (and some appear to work), but regardless what I do, after I’ve saved the file and reopened it again, all numbers with decimals are once again left aligned (some with an apostrophe, some not). How can I make sure that all numbers as a default behavior are recognized as numbers in LibreOffice Calc 6.4? It did in version 5.0.

Bob George,

Once opened the file, if you type some numbers with period and without period, how they appear? Apostrophe is added?

Verify Decimal separator key: in menu Tools - Options… - Language Settings - Languages.

@LeroyG The option “Same as locale setting” is checked, and it has a period in parentheses. My installation of LibreOffice 5.0 has the same setting, and there all numbers with decimals are right aligned.

Bob George,

What do you see if you open the file in a text editor (Notepad, Gedit, TextEdit or the like)?

@LeroyG When opening my .txt spreadsheet in Notepad++, the numbers with decimals appear just like that: numbers with decimals: 5.75

Bob George,

There could be spaces before or after some numbers?

Would you share a .txt sample with 4 or 5 lines? Or just copy and paste the lines as a comment here. Delete all private data before.

@LeroyG There are no spaces. I just figured out what the problem was. When opening the file in LibreOffice 6.4, the Language option in the Text Import window was set to the local language. When I change that to “Default - English (USA)”, all numbers are right aligned.

Good. Now, post your comment from “When opening the file…” to the end, as an Answer.

When opening the file in LibreOffice 6.4, the Language option in the Text Import window was, in my case, set to the local language. When I change that to “Default - English (USA)”, all numbers are right aligned.