ODBC connection to SQL Server on Azure, on Mac

Hi there,

I’ve been tearing my hair out with this all weekend, and I’m hoping someone might have some clues to help me out. I have setup a SQL server database on Azure, and I want my Mac installation of LibreOffice Base (Version: 6.4.6.2) to connect to it.

I’ve installed Java (Version 8 Update 261) and have a JRE selected in LibreOffice (Oracle Corporation 1.8.0_261). Installed various ODBC drivers and can see them in the ODBC Manager, and have crated the relevant DSN for each. I’ve tried:

• Devart ODBC Driver for SQL Server 3.1
  • Microsoft ODBC 13.1
  • Microsoft ODBC 17
  • freetds v1.2.3

When I try to connect in LibreOffice and test the connection, it fails.

Anyone have an ideas what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks in advance, your help is much appreciated.

When I try to connect in LibreOffice and test the connection, it fails.

Any error message?

Btw: The whole question sounds like you are running Windows (instead of macOS) on your Mac. Is that true?

I’m definitely running macOS Catalina. One error I got was literally just a red square with a cross, and no words. I’ve tried so many things and received so many different errors. What I really need is some clear end to end instructions on how to connect with ODBC.
I ended up giving up and switching to JDBC. My method was roughly install Java 8 > Install JDK 8 > Install JDBC driver > Set preferences in LibreOffice > Create new database with JDBC and connection string info from Azure.
Got there eventually but it was SUPER painful.
Thanks for your time anyway.

Usually I also use (removed SPAM link - @Ratslinger ) - Reliable and simple to use data connectors for ODBC data sources.
Compatible with multiple third-party tools.