ods conversion to cvs incorrect

'`win 7-64

LO Version: 6.3.5.2 (x64)`

I’m writing a test file to check the ods output as a csv file and found the following curiosities:

1. The first column is a number ($a1=1). The first column does not appear in the output.
  2. The third ods row is 3 a, b c d and the output is "a,",,c,d, b is missing.
  3. The fourth ods row is 4 a"" b c d and the output is a"",,c,db is missing.
  4. The fifth ods row is 5 a", b c d and the output is "a",",,c,d b is missing, double quotes unbalanced.

I don’t understand why the first column doesn’t output. The unbalanced double quotes are probably correct(?).

Since this is a test, the question is which ods inputs can not be supported (no way, no how), and which are in error.

I suspect that as I continue to devlop test cases more anomalies will show up. Should I ignore them, report them, or cast caution to the winds and remove the tests.

test.ods

In my system, the export is correct.

ArchLinux, LO 6.3

a,,,
a,b,c,d
"a,",b,c,d
a””,b,c,d
"a”,",b,c,d
"a,","b,",c,d
"a,",",b",c,d

@mauricio: thanks. Don’t understand my output and with you being successful, I’m confused. A friend of mine said that the linux LO software was better than the Winxx implementation. This might be a case in point.

@mauricio: What about the missing number in column 1. In your output was there a column 1 (#,a,b,c,d)?

Number?, what number?

@mauricio: In my file column 1 contains a number. But, I think I made a mistake and used the wrong file. In any case, the number issue is resolved. The unbalanced double quotes I’m just going to tell user’s not to do, and if possible, don’t use double quotes at all. If double quotes are used, then don’t use a comma (,). And, if a double quote is used then the input (in LO) is not correct. So, my way is clear. Ignore the issue by telling users to avoid it. Another here button for all. Thanks @mauricio

A friend of mine said that the linux LO software was better than the Winxx implementation.

That’s nonsense. Apart from few system specific parts the applications are built from identical.source code.

The unbalanced double quotes I’m just going to tell user’s not to do, and if possible, don’t use double quotes at all.

Note that the double quotes present as cell content are typographic U+201D RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK and as such are just some character content not ASCII double quotes.

If double quotes are used, then don’t use a comma (,).

It’s perfectly ok to use such combination. If a field contains the field separator it has to be embedded in ASCII double quotes for CSV export, contained ASCII quotes (which here aren’t) would have to be escaped by doubling them. Check RFC 4180.

I see export correctly.

image description

I thing, the implementation is the same in Windows and Linux.