.ofx files opening in Writer not Calc

Hi Everyone.

Until recently .ofx file types were opening in LibreOffice Calc for me, which is perfect, but all of a sudden they’ve started opening in LibreOffice Writer, which is useless for me.

Does anyone know why this might have happened and how I can go about fixing it? I can’t seem to figure out how to do it.

MacOS on Macbook Air. I have to right click → open with → LibreOffice on the .ofx file types, but it has started opening with Writer. I cant seem to tell it to open them with Calc instead.

Thanks for your help.

Leon

What is an .ofx file?

“An OFX file is a financial data file created in the Open Financial Exchange (OFX) format, an open format for transferring data between vendors, consumers, and financial systems. It contains transactions, statements, and other financial information. OFX files are typically sent to individual users as credit card or banking statements from a financial institution.”

It’s the file type recommended by Xero (my bookkeeping software for my business) for importing transactions from my bank account.

There are other options but such as .csv and .qif but the .ofx files import the best and with least amount of modification or stuff ups.

This is unlikely: LibreOffice has never included an OFX import filter (unless you used some custom XSLT filter). Just to make sure, checked the source code for any occurrence of OFX, and also I tried to open a sample OFX file with LO 5.0 and LO 3.3.

Could you confuse Calc with, e.g., MS Excel (or another spreadsheet software available on your system)?

3 Likes

Apple Numbers apparently, OFX File Extension - What is an .ofx file and how do I open it?

1 Like

I looked at using XML Source data import. Based on the sample @mikekaganski gave, OFX files are not well-formed XML…they drop the closing tags on the leaf elements. Also the structure is not 2-dimensional. Each record seems to be broken into two different 2D blocks. The closing tags would be relatively easy to add via automation, but changing the structure would require very specific OFX conversion rules, it seems to me.

Well I’m definitely confused then.

I definitely don’t have any other spreadsheet software. That’s how I ended up with LO because I didn’t have any and needed something.

I’m certain I was able to open the .ofx file, delete the transactions that already been imported and then import the file with only the new transactions.

I’m certainly not functioning at the level you guys are when it comes to IT, so I’m not sure what to say.

Thanks for the help though

Numbers is an Apple spreadsheet application included as part of iWork. It is listed on link I gave as being able to open ofx files. As you have a Mac you might have been using Numbers to open the files
Apparently, it’s a free download from Apple store.