On Mac: LibreOffice keeps crashing

Sadly, this sounds so familiar to me.

hello, fyi - i reverted back to 7.1.0.1 version about 3 weeks ago, and I have experienced zero issues since, no crashes whatsoever

I have the crash problem too. I think the problem is related to vertical scroll. If I do a quick vertical scroll using the mouse, Writer crashes. But if I do a vertical scroll using keyboard shortcuts like Cmd+arrows or Alt+arrows, all works fine.

I verified the problem using 7.3.* and 7.4.0.3 with macOS Monterey 12.5.1 and macOS Ventura beta 22A5321D.

Iā€™ve been using LO 7.1.8.1 for some months now (on a daily basis), and there are hardly any crashes/freezings at all anymore ā€“ LibreOffice works impeccably on my Mac.

But as soon as I use a version newer than 7.1.8.1 on macOS Monterey, the crashes/freezings reoccur.

Hi.

I switched recently to JRE 1.8 (see screenshot above in @jeshkhol 's message). Had no crashes since. If you donā€™t have it in your list, install Java 8.

My LO version is 7.3.0.3.

1 Like

Hi.

Iā€™m using Java 8 but LibreOffice insist to crash. I canā€™t do a vertical scroll with the mouse.

Using LO 7.4.0.3 & Monyerey and Ventura.

Confirming problem (2020 iMac, macOS Monterey 12.6, LibreOffice 7.4.2.3

ā€¦and confirming sub terraā€™s solution (update JRE, java runtime engine) fixes it.

1 Like

This is great to hear. Could you please tell me which Java version exactly (JDK 17/19?) you are running?

Maybe the problem on my macOS is that I have simply the wrong version installed.

Iā€™m not sure how to check version. I installed, yesterday, the only Mac option here

Thanks. You can check the Java version here:

LibreOffice > Preferences: LibreOffice > Advanced: Java Options (the full path is given under ā€œLocation:ā€)

Iā€™m now utterly confused because while LOā€™s Help files say we need a JDK version of Java for macOS, the link you provide points to a JRE version of Java (which is also what is running on my computer).

Not seeing it.

Screenshot

I see. Iā€™ll try to find out more and maybe ask in a separate Topic about this here.

Why not just follow in my footsteps and quit LO, download/install the Mac option from the link I posted, and see what happens?

macOS 10.10 and newer require JDK, JRE is not sufficient; see System Requirements | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Based on OpenOffice - Compatible with Microsoft and Frequently asked questions - General - The Document Foundation Wiki .
The page linked by jeshkhol that is also linked from the Wiki provides JDK downloads, maybe you overlooked, hereā€™s a direct anchor of JDK17: Java Downloads | Oracle .

1 Like

The problem still subsists for me on macOS Ventura and none of the above solutions is working: enabled full disk access, updated Java to JDK19. The freeze/crash almost systematically occurs when I have two documents opened and switch from one to the other. Iā€™ve tried all sorts of LO version in the 7.2, 7.3 and 7.4 range and the problem systematically persists. Iā€™ve now reverted to 7.1.8.1, which is the last version that works well.

Iā€™m observing the same with LO 7.4.2.3. I am on MacOS 13.2.1 and the laptop is M1. As far as I know Iā€™m Java-free.
This happens when I switch between two spreadsheets.
7.1.8.1 works for me.