Open JDK - how to do this?

Looking at upgrading to the latest version of Libre Office for Linux and notice that the release notes indicate that the GCJ Java variant has issues with Libre Office and that it is recommended that Open JDK be used instead.What is involved in this?

Does one have to remove GCJ Java: if so how.
Does one have to install OpenJDK? If so how.

FYI I have only recently installed Ubuntu and am a real beginner at all of this.

This is more Ubuntu than LibO :slight_smile: but no matter! You might already be good to go. Open up the terminal, and type this at the prompt:

java -version

Then hit “Enter”, and see what it reports. It should tell you both version, as well as “flavour”.

As for side-by-side, have a look at this AskUbuntu Q&A. You could search that site for more targetted support on this particular issue.

Hope that’s a help!

Thanks - great help.

Maybe you don’t need Java at all. I am using Ubuntu 12.04 and have installed LibreOffice 4.1 and no java is really required for my work. Java is needed in some special situations like in Writer if you are using File | Wizards. Some of them may not work, because they require Java.

The only really Java dependency is LibreOffice Base. But if you don’t use it then you most probably will never need Java to use LibreOffice.

But if you would like to install Java anyway, I suggest to do the following:

GUI

1. Open Ubuntu Software Center.
  2. In right menu type in “java jre” without double quotes.
  3. “OpenJDK Java 7 Runtime” is displayed. Double click it and install it.

Terminal

1. Open Terminal and type in:
sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre-headless