Opening a second document in macOS by clicking

When LibreOffice is not running and I click a .docx file (either in the finder or in firefox downloads), LibreOffice opens and displays the file.
But if another file is already opened nothing happens, whereas I would expect a second window to open with the file clicked. I know two windows with different documents can be opened by going to New → Open and select the file, but this a bit cumbersome, and it is not always feasable to close LibreOffice before clicking on a file to open it.

Is there some setting I can change to get this to work as I expect it to?

macOS: Sonoma 14.4.1 on a macbook M1

Version: 24.2.2.2 (AARCH64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: d56cc158d8a96260b836f100ef4b4ef25d6f1a01
CPU threads: 8; OS: macOS 14.4.1; UI render: Skia/Metal; VCL: osx
Locale: en-GB (en_GB.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

LibreOffice installed via brew

Please help us to help you; edit your question to include details of your operating system - MacOS? - and the LibreOffice version information fro Help | About LibreOffice; use the icon right of the text Version Information to copy the information.

Done, thanks for the reminder

I don’t see this on my Macs at work, but maybe it is a setting in Finder? I can double-click on various files that will open in LibreOffice.

Thanks, reading that it should work, made me realise I could do a reinstall w/o using brew, and that solved the issue. I assume you installed from a direct download (and not using brew) at work, would be nice to have that confirmed.

I actually have several concurrent versions:

• whichever is the latest available via Homebrew;

• a current “stable” production release from the LibreOffice download site, named LOx. y. z. a according to the release version;

• a developer daily build release, to confirm bug reports and test ongoing fixes.

I’m a bit surprised that you cannot open more than one document simultaneously with the HomeBrew version alone, but I’d probably put that down to missing permissions vis-à-vis Gatekeeper, that you don’t get with the project website download.

I solved this by deinstalling the libreoffice I installed with brew, and downloading and installing the .dmg (for apple silicon) directly from the libreoffice website.