Opening an ODS file from Ubuntu command line -error

Opening an xls (calc file) from the command line (Ubuntu), I have been getting an error message which I see (on the forums) has been around for years: “Warning: failed to read path from javaldx” (althought I have disabled Java (in tools → options → advanced)

Now I am trying to open an ods file:
libreoffice --calc myfile.ods
or
soffice myfile.ods

Either way, the error message is now:

Warning: failed to read path from javaldx
func=xmlSecCheckVersionExt:file=xmlsec.c:line=188:obj=unknown:subj=unknown:error=19:invalid version:mode=abi compatible;expected minor version=2;real minor version=2;expected subminor version=25;real subminor version=26

I am using the Libreoffice version that was installed by default with Ubuntu. I have not fiddled with any config files.

Version: 6.0.7.3
Build ID: 1:6.0.7-0ubuntu0.18.04.10
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 5.3; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3;
Locale: nb-NO (en_GB.UTF-8); Calc: group

Search this forum. I remember that a similar question was discussed (or updated) quite recently.

What you did not mention: Does your file finally open or not - despite the messages appearing ?

PS This are 2 messages unrelated to each other:

• Message 1: Warning: failed to read path from javaldx
  • Message 2: func=xmlSecCheckVersionExt:file=xmlsec.c:line=188:obj=unknown:subj=unknown:error=19:invalid version:mode=abi compatible;expected minor version=2;real minor version=2;expected subminor version=25;real subminor version=26 (probably bug #tfdf118373, which in fact has not been backported and isn’t a bug.

Yes, the file does open.
YOu write that the messages are unrelated to one another. I only get message nr. 2 when opening the ods-file, not when opening a odt-file. Message 1 appears no matter what file I open.

To Gabix: I have searched this and other forums and I have not found a solution that seemed to work for message 1)

“Warning: failed to read path from javaldx” is not an error: it is a warning from the loader that runs before any configuration is read, so it doesn’t know that Java is disabled. It is of course absolutely unrelated. This is tdf#129264.

… fixed in the future v.7.1. Thanks Stephan!

Hello,

update LibreOffice to a more recent version. Consider using launchpad PPA for LibreOffice 6.3 (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-6-3 –yes) which currently delivers LibreOffice version 6.3.5.2 on Ubuntu 18.04.

Hope that helps.

I added the 6-3 repository, as you suggested (and ran sudo apt autoremove afterwards). Message 2 disappeared and I am left with the eternal “Warning: failed to read path from javaldx” which I guess I will just have to live with :slight_smile: Thanks.

FWIW:

I’m using Xubuntu 18.04.

After having run
sudo apt upgrade
and noting that there was nothing more to be upgraded, I ran sudo upgrade libreoffice, which upgraded or installed a bunch of packages, related to LibreOffice and Java. The libreoffice version displayed was the same before and after the upgrade: LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 00m0(Build:3) but the Java warning has gone. I still get your “Message 2” though, every time I open a document.