Opening and saving a .xlsx document using libreoffice headless

I have a requirement where I just need to open a .xlsx in libreoffice and save and close it. I am trying to see if i can do it using headless function. I am new to libreoffice and while search i thought this post ‘Save and close ods file from command line - #2 by JohnSUN’ is close to what i need. However when I try to do what this post says and execute the macro on my file using the instructions given in the post, i simply get a “>” prompt and no further information is displayed. I am not sure how to proceed. Kindly advise.

I have created a library ‘updateRefs’ and a module ‘UpdateHidden’ and have the following code within it:

Option Explicit 

Sub updateAndSave(sSourcePath As String)
Dim sPath As String
Dim oDoc As Variant 
Dim loadComponentProperties(0) As New com.sun.star.beans.PropertyValue
Rem Prevent screen flashing - perform file upload in "stealth mode"
	loadComponentProperties(0).Name= "Hidden"
	loadComponentProperties(0).Value= True
Rem We can load the spreadsheet using loadComponentFromURL().
Rem But the OpenDocument()  from the Tools library does it better.
Rem Therefore, we load the Tools library:
	GlobalScope.BasicLibraries.LoadLibrary("Tools")
Rem Convert the full path to the file, received in the parameter, 
Rem into the correct URL:
	sPath = ConvertToURL(sSourcePath)
Rem If a file with that name exists (and it may not exist):
	If FileExists(sPath) Then
Rem Open spreadsheet:
		oDoc = OpenDocument(sPath,loadComponentProperties)
Rem Recalculate all formulas (and update external links at the same time)
		oDoc.calculateAll()
Rem Save:
		oDoc.store()
Rem and close
    	oDoc.close(True)
    EndIf 
End Sub

now when i try to execute this macro from the terminal using:

libreoffice --headless --nologo "macro:///updateRefs.UpdateHidden.updateAndSave("/home/balajit/Python\ Projects/Calculate\ Capital\ Gains/testinput1.xlsx")

I get the “>” prompt.

If you show the code you use, it’ll be easier to help you.

Hi, Thanks for your response. I have updated my post with the macro code and how I am trying to execute it using libreoffice headless option. Kindly have a look and please advise.

Do you want to edit your file from a Python script?

yes. my requirement is since I am updating a group of cells with formulas from my python script, in order to read the calculated values in my python script i need to get these formulas evaluated by excel / libreoffice by opening the file and saving it. Hence I am trying to use this method. Hope it clarifies. Thanks again for your prompt response.

I guess the curly quotes are added by this site, so I will ignore this, but I see 3 of them, but expect 2 or 4.
The path implies you are on some Linux or Mac. Why do you quote Space with backslash inside quotes?
I’d try to omit headless first, so you can see, if LibreOffice starts, then maybe put a MsgBox after the ConvertToURL to check your filename. And for first tests I suggest a path and filename without spaces…
I assume you already checked security settings, so your LibreOffice is allowed to execute this Macro… In headless mode you can’t see the typical warnings.
Without testing my guess on a working command would be:

libreoffice --headless --nologo "macro:///updateRefs.UpdateHidden.updateAndSave(/home/balajit/Python Projects/Calculate Capital Gains/testinput1.xlsx)"

--headless and macro: URI are mutually exclusive.

1 Like

This code I use in a rather large project. I cleaned it up to show you he can control everything from Python.

LibreOffice needs to use the Python system to make this code work.

def main():
    PATH = '/home/elmau/Projects/test/python/test.xlsx'

app = LIBO()
    if app.is_running:
        options = {'Hidden': True}
        doc = app.open(PATH, options)

sheet = doc.Sheets[0]
        sheet['A1'].String = 'Work fine...'

doc.calculateAll()
        doc.store()
        doc.close(True)

app.close()
        print('Ok...')
    return

codigo.pdf (18.5 KB)

OOO Development Tools (OooDev) is very good at this.

There are fantastic examples such as Write Convert Document Format.

See Also: Python LibreOffice Programming Chapter 2. Starting and Stopping.