OpenOffice.org1.1TextDocument in html to a calc document

Somehow a file ShipInfoByName17 was saved in OpenOffice.org 1.1 Text Document as an html document.(new filename ShipInfoByName17html.

The intent was to save the document to a calc document.

I cannot figure out how to convert it

I’d like to clarify what I suspect may be unclear. The data file from which the text html document was created is no longer available. The data was inadvertently saved as a text html document. I need to convert the text document now in html into a standard calc document.

Without having the file I think this would work:

1. Open LibreOffice
  2. Click File > Open, navigate to and select the html file and click the Open button
  3. It should open in Writer as a table. Copy the table to Calc and Save As .ods
1 Like

A html BEFORE a dot will not tell anything of the actual format.
If you double-click, the file opens in a browser like Edge, Chrome, Firefox ??
If the browser shows the contents properly, you may also copy from this window, then paste to a new Calc-file/window. (The same as already suggested by @EarnestAl )
PS: Sorry for not trusting your question, but we had several occasions here, where files were only renamed (not converted) or where the “conversion” was only a false Icon shown by Windows…

The file name extension may indicate the actual type of document, but this is not necessarily so.
Open the file with Writer.
Then start saving it under some other name, calling menu:File>Save As…
The file type indicated in the list box labeled “File type” is most likely the actual type of file.
Check the box labeled “Automatic file name extension”, and the file will be saved with an adequate file name extension. Keep that file, discard the misnamed one.

How you want to convert a text document into a spreadsheet is beyond me.

Note that if you actually saved from Calc as HTML, there is a dedicated HTML Document (Calc) import filter available (that needs to be selected manually on import, in File Open dialog).

1 Like