Optimal Column Width problem

This appiies too Calc Version: 6.4.2.2

The attached spreadsheet has one column, taken from another, larger and more complex spreadsheet. The problem is this: When I clicked on Format/Columns/Optimal Width, I erased the default added value and inserted 0.0". The column actually widened! I tried various variations and never could get the column to adjust to a tolerable minimum width.

This sort of thing has happened with other columns, especially when I tried it with more than one column. Is this a bug, or am I doing something odd with the entries in the cells?

Untitled 1.ods

Could this be a bug? I added some numbers to one of the cells and selected optimum column width 0.1" and the column shrank!

Kopfschlaeger,

Unmark Wrap text automatically in menu FormatCellsAlignment tab.

I tried it on the spreadsheet from which the column was taken and your solution worked. Oddly, after turning off wrap, when I first tried to change the optimal width parameter to 0.0", the program would not let me do it! it kept changing the number. Finally, I persuaded it to let me have 0.0" added to the width and it worked! Now, why did it make a difference when I put numbers in two of the cells?

Kopfschlaeger,

There are two column width options: Column width and Optimal column width.

Column width do not accept 0 as value.

Both dialogs appear similar. Click with secondary button on the header of the column, and you can select one of them.

Thanks for the comment. I never use the 0" except to negate the added space offered by optimal column width. I find it odd that I would have to treat a column differently depending on whether it has the word wrap option on or whether it has numbers as well as letters in its cells.