Output document version differences in headless mode

The LibreOffice UI lets you compare different versions of a document.

I am developing a document management server that holds ODT/ODS/ODP files and shows the files via a web interface. I would like to allow online users to see what has changed in a document from their web browser, without having to download the file nor install LibreOffice.

I could have my server automatically launch the LibreOffice UI, compare the versions, take screenshots while scrolling, and send them to the web client. But that sounds brittle and memory-consuming. Is there a more elegant way, ideally in headless mode?

I am open to any format (PNG/HTML/etc) as long as it visually shows the differences.

I understand that it’s not an answer to your question per se, but it seems that part of your goal (“a document management server that … shows the files via a web interface”) is what LOOL does. It can’t yet do what you want (show differences), so why not join our developers team and implement it for greater good? :slight_smile:

OTOH, you could just convert both versions to text (using --convert-to), and use diff to show textual changes (if that’s enough; no formatting changes of course that way)