Page count in new document is wrong

document says “page count = 25” but the “last page = 23” count does not include the Title Page which is what I want.
I have doubled check the page numbers and they are correct ie. consecutive after the Title Page which has no page number. .
BTW even my TOC is correct as the last item is Typography which is on page 23

Version: 7.0.4.2
Build ID: 00(Build:2)
CPU threads: 12; OS: Linux 5.10; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Debian package version: 1:7.0.4-4+deb11u7
Calc: threaded

Linux Debian GNU/Linux 11 bullseye (x86-64)
AMD Ryzen 5 5500 × 6
DRAM: 31.2 GB Drives: 5501.1 GB
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV770 [Radeon HD 4870] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
nexgen-simulations.com/E14/Downloads/29-000005-01.LandingGear.odt]

To clarify: If you start page numbering on page 3, and tell LibreOffice to start with number 1, so that the ‘physical’ page 3 has number 1 on it, and the last page has number 23, then there must be 25 pages. Or you don’t display page numbers on the first page(s) and start on page 3 with page number 3 and end on page 23, in that case there is a problem.

2 Likes

Impossible to tell without more details on your document. Take note that page count is not the same as page number. Page count is the total number of pages from the beginning to the end. Page number can be reset at any “special” page break. Also page count includes inserted blank pages to cope with page parity (all odd page numbers are on a right page).

You best move is to attach your document (eventually make it smaller but ensure the problem is still there and use dummy text like “lorem ipsum” where you have confidential/private data).

2 Likes

Obviously, you have not understood how to use Writer. You are using it as a dumb mechanical typewriter. The consequence is loss of alignment on my computer where your fonts are not installed. You vertically and horizontally space with new lines and spaces. Your footer becomes jagged here. Your clumsy vertical spacing creates empty alphabetical indexes in your appendices.

The most serious issue is your confusion between alphabetical index and table of contents. The latter is based on the use of Heading n paragraph style family to mark paragraphs as headings. This family of styles contributes to logical structuring of your document which in its turn enables many automation features.

Your direct formatting nullifies and disturbs nearly all built-in devices.

Your document requires a strict structuring to facilitate its writing and maintenance. You won’t succeed in your present skill state. Pause a while and read in the downloadable documentation the Writer Guide for general information and mainly Bruce Byfield’s excellent book which can be considered as a tutorial about styling. Once done, go back to your writing. You’ll be much more efficient and be faster than continuing in your present (lack of) skill and trying to fix your mess.

2 Likes

You have a title page, a forced blank page because the next page is an odd-numbered one, which should always be a right page by LibreOffice standards, and then you start page numbering on page 3 with number 1, all according to the LibreOffice rules. So, you have 25 pages in total, 23 with a number, and 2 pages without. Everything is just fine.

@ajlittoz: That was harsh, and after taking a closer look at the document, I found that it isn’t entirely warranted. @phoenixcomm uses the index markings as a creative workaround for getting what are basically inline headings. That’s a nice trick.

1 Like

close but no. (but you are the closest.)
“You have a title page, a forced blank page because the next page is an odd-numbered one, which should always be a right page by LibreOffice standards, and then you start page numbering on page 3 with the number 1”
Yes I start counting on page 1 which is page 2 if you are counting pages. There are no blank pages.

Look at the status bar.
I inserted a page break with page number 1, and there is a blank page (2, not shown).
imagen

2 Likes

Not LibreOffice standards, Western text standards for left-to-right text. The first page is always a right page (recto) the other side of the sheet is a left page (verso). Physically, you cannot have a right page following a right page, there must be a left page for the other side of the sheet, even if it is blank.

By Western convention, Page 1 is a recto page so a blank, unnumbered page will be inserted automatically when you print. You can override it in the print dialogue by unticking Print automatically inserted blank pages, the page count will decrease by one. Before you do that, just press the arrow to preview the next page: you can see your extra page. You can also disable by default, printing of automatically inserted in the Tools > Options > LibreOffice Writer > Print dialogue.

You might find this relevant, Folio - Wikipedia

As suggested, using LibreOffice’s capabilities will make it much easier to maintain your documentation and to make stylistic changes quickly to the entire document. There will always be someone in authority who will say something like “Can you just change the font”, or size, or enlarge the headings, etc. With styles it is a matter of seconds to make such a change
A quick tip, in the footer, delete all the spaces between the two parts and press the tab key twice. The first press will centre the page number and page count, the second will right-align it (as it gets longer it will expand inwards, even if it gets to thousands of pages).

@EarnestAl: For decades, people have produced printed documents like business letters and reports. They would most often print on one side of the sheets, and the “page numbers” on them were really “sheet numbers”, and they didn’t put only odd numbers on them. The numbering was there merely as a means to veryfy that a pile of sheets was complete. Also, the word “page” is more abstract than the Dutch word “bladzijde”, literally side of a sheet of paper, and you can easily talk about “page 25” when you really mean sheet 25. That is where the confusion starts.

I firmly believe that it’s a design error in LibreOffice to force the model for a physical book on its users. If you prefer to proofread on paper, you want to print a document, probably single sided when you use cheap printing paper or can’t print double sided. In that case you merely want sheet numbers for practical purposes. LibreOffice should allow for that in a more intuitive way. Also, in a print preview you don’t have to force a right page for the first page of a manuscript.

Absolutely true. The word page has had its meaning expanded by casual use, e.g. “rip a page out of that notebook” when strictly speaking they are referring to a leaf or a sheet.

I am not defending, nor condemning the the printing analogy used in LibreOffice. If the user wants to see where the extra page is, then print preview will show it.

My major concern is the stability of the document; I do not see it as it was written, I get 27 pages and font substitutions. I think there is some corruption in the font names, e.g. DajaVu Sans Mono, DejaVu Sarif, ariel, Arial black, etc. although correctly named fonts are also used. I wonder if this is due the extensive direct formatting or some other cause?

Good catch! I didn’t even notice those bad font names.

This thread is a classic example of what happens when you ask the wrong question, in this case saying something is wrong with the software instead of asking how you can achieve what you want.

Your download document generated a warning in Firefox, saying that it could have been tampered with. It’s better to upload actual files at this site than providing external links, unless the files are too large to upload.