Page margins issue in a brochure (folded sheet)

Greetings forum:

I have a 4 page brochure to print duplex onto a single letter size 8.5 x 11" sheet.

Format > Page Style > Page > Margins (Top/Bottom) are set to 0.17" - the minimum for my printer.
File > Printer Settings > Options > Pages: Brochure is CHECKED.

My final print has much larger TOP and BOTTOM margins than expected when set to 0.17" Layout looks perfect in the main editor window. When I “Toggle Print Preview” (Shift+Ctrl+O) layout also looks perfect. However, when I click “Print” the preview that is displayed for final output shows a clearly larger TOP and BOTTOM margin for the page.

The printer output produced resembles exactly the final print preview, not that of the “Toggle Print Preview” or the main editor window.

What am I missing?

I have included only the final print preview image because I am limited to a single embedded image as a new user. I will try to reply with the “Toggle Print Preview” image next…

I am running:
Version: 7.0.4.2
Build ID: 00(Build:2)
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 5.10; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Debian package version: 1:7.0.4-4+deb11u4
Calc: threaded

Here is the “Toggle Print Preview” view…

And here is the editor view…

But notice the much larger TOP and BOTTOM margin of the final print preview, which is also what actually prints. I need the folded sheet to take the print all the way to the bottom like the page editor and “Toggle Print Preview” image shows, but instead I’m getting the final print preview output to the printer…

Final print preview again:

Can that help?

Printing a Brochure

Your problems with margins, try:
First steps to take before submitting a bug

There is a fundamental problem with US letter size; it doesn’t retain the same proportions when folded in half. That is unlike A4 which has been designed to retain its proportions, see Paper size - Wikipedia

All you can do is to crop the finished half letter document or learn to love white space, margins are important to readability

2 Likes

So, to get the same proportion, you (@psilospiral) can set your page size to 8.5" × 13.136".

Edit: This allow for two pages to fit in one Letter size paper when printing as Brochure.
imagen

2 Likes

@LeroyG that’s not what I get. 8 1/2" times sqrt 2 equals very close to 12", that is European fanfold size.

US letter plus size is 8.5" x 12 2/3" so might work a little better with a ratio of 1:1.49

LeroyG - Thank you for your suggestion. Ultimately, changing the aspect ratio by altering page dimensions allowed me to reduce what I was calling a “margin” in my original post. This allowed me to print a brochure with minimal white space at the top/bottom on US letter size paper. I greatly appreciate open source community support!

EarnestAI - Thank you for pointing us in the right direction. You are exactly correct about the US letter size paper having a fundamental design flaw in the aspect ratio. LeroyG’s suggestion allowed me to solve my problem and minimize the “margin” white space to solve my printing issue. Thank you for pointing out the root cause of my problem. I greatly appreciate open source community support!

1 Like