Pasting from Clipboard history

I use Microsoft’s Snip and Sketch tool extensively to get desired parts of a current screen so it can be entered into LibreOffice Writer.

Generally, it works well. After selecting the section I want I can directly paste into Writer and eventually place the diagram where and how I want it.

There are times when the screen copying needs to be done faster than I can transfer them to writer. I need to go to Clipboard history to get the missing screen shots.

The problem is that writer does not import it. MS Word does. GIMP does. Thus it appears to be a writer bug.

Writer will import text from clipboard history but not images stored from Snip and Sketch. Is there something I am doing wrong? Is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance

Never do it.
Always save the screenshot images into PNG file format (or use JPG if it is necessary for portrait type images) before you insert them into an ODF document file.
And always optimize those image files before you insert them into a document. Decrease the color depth, adjust (crop) the physical sire, etc… with a third party image editor software like the free IrfanView.
And do not use clipboard manager softwares together the LibreOffice. Some of them will work, some of them will not.

I am not too worried about quality- the screens I am copying are from lectures in a virtual classroom. I use them to make my lecture notes in a LO Writer file. When vital screens follow in quick succession, I need to be working quickly. My only other choice seems to be taking photos via my phone and this would be cumbersome.

The only issue that the notes themselves are giving me is when I use arrows to point to a part on the diagram. Writer crashes but it is fairly easy to recover and I have not lost anything yet, However, I can cope with this. Not getting the lecture screens is a much more urgent situation.

Why do you not like pasting clipboard images into writer? I would have thought this is a major purpose of it.

Because the Windows clipboard images have millions of uncompressed, unoptimized, pure pixel informations. It will strongly increase the file size of the document, and it will work slow, or the Writer will crash, and you will lose the unsaved images.

Try to use the Windows key + Print Screen

To capture your entire screen and automatically save the screenshot, tap the Windows key + Print Screen key. Your screen will briefly go dim to indicate you’ve just taken a screenshot, and the screenshot will be saved to the Pictures > Screenshots folder.

It saves the screen images into lossless .png file format (on my Win10). You can edit and manage (crop and optimize) them after the capture by a third party software.

Why don’t you use a program like Greenshot which can be set up to save the screenshots to a folder with a default file name incremented for each screenshot?
The images can be dragged into the Writer document later when there is time.

Technical details for the explanation of @Zizi64 are: Windows clipboard can only contain BMP data natively, not PNG; so when pasted from clipboard, all raster images (even copied from real JPG / PNG files, not to mention the screen capture data that has never been a real file with compression yet) arrive to LibreOffice as uncompressed BMP files, creating huge resulting document files. But - well, I don’t think that strong wording like “never do it” is really deserved :slight_smile: If the result fits you, and you are OK with the inflated file size, which you pay for ease of use, then why not? Of course, using methods suggested by @Zizi64 and @EarnestAl after that, that create actual screenshot files, and allow to insert them later, are IMO nicer.

This captures the whole screen and I usually just want part of it. Don’t know how to do that in Print Screen**

Thanks for the technical data. It does explain why my document is growing in size so quickly. I will answer that by breaking the work up into a series of documents.

I will give Greenshot a go. That sounds like it will do as I need.

Cheers

The image of the whole screen contains the informations (the part of the sreen) what you want to use. Just crop it AFTER the end of capture by a third party software (IrfanView).

IrfanView itself can do Screenshots by HotKey, and be restricted to foreground window. You can also directly store to a dedicated folder.

MS Snipping Tool provides the needed functionality out of the box, allowing to define the screenshot area, and to save to files. At least in Windows 11, it is the default app initiated by Print Screen.

GreenShot looks like it is the bees knees for my needs. It took a little bit to learn to use it properly but it was worth the effort. I have been using MS Snip and Sketch but it falls down for me when I need to save files quickly and direct pasting is taking too long. An example of needing to take several screenshots quickly is when I need to show how a spreadsheet exercise developed to an advanced state. Really like that Greenshot can save almost automatically to the desktop and that it uses .png format.

Thanks for your help everyone