Pasting image from web page brings up insert section dialog

Rookie LOffice user, trying to paste image from a web page brings up insert section dialog. Click on insert and I get 1200 pages of gobblygook. The convention seems to be use insert image dialog, but that means I have to save the image locally every time. Why can’t image just paste as in Word?

As I understand you have copied a picture from a web page. Why are you clicking on Insert? You just need to click in the document where you want the picture and press Edit > Paste (Ctrl+V). Or have I misunderstood?

When you paste an image, so as to not lose information, the image is stored in png format. If you want to keep the image as a jpg within the document for reduced size then you can instead in Firefox, on the web page, right-click and select Save image as and save it to a convenient location, it will save in the web page’s original format. In Writer, you can Insert > Image and navigate to the saved image.

Trying to copy an image from a web page, when I paste I get a dialog box (titled insert section). When I click insert, it inserts over a thousand pages of character frames. Yes I realize I can save and then insert, just an extra step esp if you have 30 images to copy paste or insert.

Never mind I just paid for Office. Not sure why LO can’t have a Word default for Word users and default settings LO for seasoned vets.

Maybe, whatever you copied was not the picture. Some websites make efforts to prevent copying of their content.

Did you try pasting it into a graphics editor?

LibreOffice Writer is not a Word substitute. It is a Word processor with more DTP capabilities than Word. There are many things in common with other word processors but it follows international standards more closely.

If you want to use MS Word then you should buy it.

As I understand you have copied a picture from a web page. Why are you clicking on Insert? You just need to click in the document where you want the picture and press Edit > Paste (Ctrl+V). Or have I misunderstood?

When you paste an image, so as to not lose information, the image is stored in png format. If you want to keep the image as a jpg within the document for reduced size then you can instead in Firefox, on the web page, right-click and select Save image as and save it to a convenient location, it will save in the web page’s original format. If necessary you can open with a graphics editor and save it in your desired format. In Writer, you can then Insert > Image and navigate to the saved image. Cheers, Al

I sometimes have the same problem. Here’s a workaround I found that does not require you to make a file.

1. Copy the image using your browser’s function.
  2. Paste the image into MS Paint (distributed free with Windows).
  3. In MS Paint, select all and copy (ctrl-A, ctrl-C).
  4. Paste into your LO document.

If anyone would like to reproduce the problem, the browser I use is Firefox (101.0.1), my OS is Windows 10, and an image I had this problem with can be found in an online recipe page, at [https://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/13625-spaghetti-with-tuna-and-capers]

I realize that this thread is somewhat old, but I haven’t seen any other solutions other than using multiple steps to accomplish what you should be able to do in one.

The original issue was this: when copying an image from a webpage (using right-click, “Copy Image”), then attempting to paste that image into writer (using Ctrl+V), the “Insert Section” dialogue box inappropriately came up. There seemed no way around this.

What I found works with less steps is rather than simply Paste (Ctrl+V), instead use Paste Special (Ctrl+Shift+V), then select either “HTML format without comments” or “Bitmap” (not “HTML” unless you want or intend to add comments). The first will insert the image via a link, and the second will insert the actual image. Admittedly I’m not sure if it is truly a large BMP or (hopefully, when saved) is compressed; I’ll leave to the experts.

It was tdf#145875, and is fixed since LibreOffice version 7.4 (together with the introduction of WebP format support).

1 Like