Pdf form: embed font for fill-ins


I have a form designed in writer with code128 font (bar codes) for some fill-ins.

Once the pdf is generated it works well on the machine it has been generated on.

But on other machines where the code128 font is not installed, it does not.

This is because the code128 font does not get embedded within the pdf form.

Is there a way to have this font embedded, or should I fill an enhancement request?



There is a setting to embed the fonts in the File menu.

File > Properties > Font (tab) > Embed fonts in the document (check box)

Is that setting checked?

Yes it is. AFAIK this setting is to embed the font in the odt file, not the pdf file.

I have seen this setting mentioned also in regards to PDFs.

Is the font actually in use in the form? Are there visible characters in use. Or is the font simply assigned.

I am wondering if it is not actually in use so it is not exported.

Can you attach the file or make it available for download?

Hmmmm … font files have a property in the metadata which controls Embedding.

I just downloaded Code 128 form Dafont.com and that TTF file has no metadata at all.

I wonder if LibreOffice interprets this as Not-Embed-able?

We can test this by adding the proper metadata.

No, code128 does not display on the document, it is only used by the fill-in. As such all the font (not a subset of it) should be embedded in the exported pdf file. I join a sample and the pdf.
I tried with other fonts for fill-ins and they never get embedded in the pdf file.
Of course if I display some characters from that font in the pdf, then a subset of the font is embedded.
There are 2 pdf objects created: on for the font subset, one for the fill-in (but without the font file itself).

See: http://jice.free.fr/asklo/code128.odt and http://jice.free.fr/asklo/code128.pdf (only the fill-in), or http://jice.free.fr/asklo/test128.odt & http://jice.free.fr/asklo/test128.pdf (fill-in plus some characters displayed using the same font).

See also http://jice.free.fr/asklo/form.odt and http://jice.free.fr/asklo/form.pdf for a test with another font.

I finally got the source code and can see that the font is exported without the font stream (i.e. the font file). Which is not correct, as the font is not among the base14 fonts and as such must be embedded.
(By the way, not embedding the base14 fonts is not recommended anymore as per the pdf specification.)
Will investigate more.