I have a few performance problems with a specific document – it’s a large book whose stats are:
OLE objects: 0,
Characters excluding spaces: 0 (?),
Lines: 22678 - file size: 10MB.
Images are small and bi-level – most of them have been added in the past days and the problems I’m going to describe were already present before, so they shouldn’t be involved. Problems:
- Most of the time when I open the document and do nothing the CPU is already at 99%.
- Most of the time LibreOffice is very slow in typing, in a way that is really affecting usability. Now fortunately my book is almost finished and I just have to do some small fixes, so I can survive; but when I need to rewrite a whole paragraph I need to open a new, empty document, write the text into it and then copy/paste.
- Note that the problems sometimes disappear by themselves for a short time: let’s say that 20/25% of time the CPU goes down and typing is acceptable – note that these are two independent behaviours, that is sometimes I can type with no problems but the CPU is still at 99%.
- A very strange behaviour happens with accented keys (I have an Italian keyboard and the text is in Italian): they always act very fast and while typing a word with mixed characters the accented ones go “out of order”; for instance, if I type “perché” I get “éperch” - I can see the “é” being displayed immediately, while “perch” gets later.
From LibreOffice about:
Build ID: b79626edf0065ac373bd1df5c28bd630b4424273,
CPU threads: 8; OS: Mac OS X 10.14.6; UI render: default; VCL: osx; ,
Locale: en-GB (en_GB.UTF-8); UI-Language: en-US,
Furthermore: 16GB RAM, my SSD has got 200GB free, its native speed is 2+GB/s, but the document I’m working with is on a VeraCrypt strongly encrypted partition whose performance is 80+MB/s.
I don’t have direct access to a native (i.e. not virtualised) Linux or Windows box with a performance comparable to my laptop, but I could ask some friend to help if such a test can provide useful information for diagnosis.
Points added to answer questions
I’ve tried copying the file to an APFS partition - still encrypted, but APFS encryption is less strong and much faster than Veracrypt, I measured performance at 1000+MB/s writing and 2000MB/s reading. Still same behaviour.
I use native .odt format.
A point that forgot to mention in my original post is that I use lots of references to user defined fields. They could be in the thousands (lets’ say 3.000 as a rough estimate).