PERMANENTLY Turning OFF Styles in LO Writer 5.0.3.2

Okay, I have searched thru all 134 options that come up when I enter “turn off styles” and none of them answer my question. Oh Lord, let me be me and turn that OFF. I do NOT want to have to choose a style every time I want to change something about my text. I want to be able to indent a section of a writing by simply highlighing it and moving my ruler settings. I want to be able to highlight something and have JUST IT be centered. But time and again LO thinks it knows best. I’ve done the Control+M and yet, the minute I reformat something, it reformats the ENTIRE document to match it. I’m sick of it, thoroughly sick of it. I hated MS Office for it. I don’t want to learn it nor use it. I want to think the way I think, not the way the program says I should. If I wanted that, I’d get a Mac.

I’m sorry, but I am just sick and tired of it. It is very slow and inefficient for me. I want to scream every time it changes things for me. I’ve tried to delete every style, but the built in ones won’t let me delete them.

I don’t want them. I don’t want them. I don’t want them. I just want to type and format as I go. I don’t want to have to go thru all kinds of hoops and styles just to change the formatting on one line. I don’t care that you can change the way the whole thing looks by just changing the style. In all my decades on this earth, I have never once had to change the entire document style to make that option worth anything to me.

I’m sorry I’m rambling. I am just mad as hell that this program, too, seems to force it on me. It breaks my train of thought ever time I have to stop and deal with this.

Please tell me there is a way to permanently turn it OFF. Please let me be my own dinosaur and live in the stone age.

Maybe this helps, but you have to do something with styles once more: press F11 to open the styles list (skip if it’s already open), right click on the highlighted style that is giving you trouble, probably Default, select Modify. Open the Organizer tab. There is an option AutoUpdate. Click the tick mark to disable that option. If it wasn’t ticked, it’s game over.

However, it would be better if you rethink how you think about this. I was around when styles had still to be invented, and just keeping a document consistently formatted was a hell of a job. Believe me, styles are your best friend, but if you insist on seeing them as your worst enemy, you should get another tool to do your work.

A lot of automatic exists in the settings AutoCorrect Options... in menu Tools. Go to tab Options and disable all options, which you do not want to use.

From a technical view, you cannot get rid of styles. Even direct formatting like “Mark a word and click on bold-icon” is a style in file format. Only those styles are hidden from the user interface.

Have you considered to use the simple “WordPad” which comes with each Windows installation?