Place pictures from clipboard - keep it in order with the text - how to do that in Writer?

I want to place pictures from the clip board (.bmp, .png or .jpg) in my text flow like illustrated her … Text

Some picture here
It’s caption

continuation of my text goes here.

I.e. the picture and caption should stay together and start on a new “line” and my text should continue after the caption. So the graphics should stick with the break in text and not jump around and have no fancy text on the sides. I would say the most basic. I have tried many combinations of wrap and anchor and cant get it to work like I want. The graphics “jumps” around.

Could some give me a small hint. And how do I set this as the default mode of dealing with pictures.
Thanks

It can be done. Click Tools > Options > LibreOffice Writer > Formatting Aids and set Anchor to As character. The images will paste in sequence, just like characters.

Important Notes

• Pasting images from the clipboard will embed them as png, even if they are jpg on the clipboard. Better to use Insert > Image or drag from the file manager
  • If the image is anchored As Character then make a paragraph style that includes in the Text Flow tab, Keep with next paragraph.
  • If anchored differently, you could use the built-in right-click Insert Caption which adds a new frame to hold the image and a caption so they cannot part company.
  • Bug tdf#87912 might make some images anchored As character disappear. They should be retrievable using Navigator but it is a bit of kerfuffle to rescue them.

What you write is related to Windows, and only because there is no clipboard format for JPG (just as well as for PNG) on Windows. Only “bitmap” (like DIB) format is available.

And on other operating systems, where there is a clipboard format for JPG, LibreOffice will use the format that is put there, so it may use JPG.

2 Likes

Achieving predictable and reliable picture positioning in Writer is a daunting task. There are two main ways of addressing it:

• anchor As character
    This is the easiest but has limitations. Your picture is considered a (huge) character and becomes part of text. It flows like any other character.
    The counterpart is you can’t position the image as you like. You must do it as fart of paragraph formatting.
    However, there is no surprise, no jump around.

• using a frame style in other anchor modes
    Note: refrain from using To page. The name is a faux-ami. This mode is reserved for DTP-like (sektop publishing) jobs. It plays nasty tricks on your back if you don’t understand fully the consequences.
    A frame style allows you to position the image either in an absolute position in the page, or relatively to the anchor (anchoring object: paragraph or character).
    Unfortunately, some default settings were ill-chosen (IMHO). This is notably the case for Allow overlap which should not be enabled.
    Be also aware that any direct formatting action, be it simply moving the frame with the mouse or resizing it, will mess everything up.
    Frame styles are not as resilient as the other style categories. For your piece of mind, apply a style ONLY and EXCLUSIVELY. If you think you added direct formatting, apply another style (any) then reapply your intended style. This clears direct formatting. There is no other way with frame styles (Format>Clear Direct Formatting is ineffective on frames).
    If you have two frames anchored in the same paragraph and you apply the same style, the frames are assigned the same position and therefore conflict. They will overlap if Allow overlap is enabled. If it is disabled, Writer will offset the second-inserted to fix the overlap conflict. This works as long as you don’t interfere with the mouse or keys. Otherwise, direct formatting has ravaging effects.

Familiarise yourself with “ordinary” styles (paragraph, character, page) before experimenting with frame styles. Experimenting is very important for you to understand the effect of settings, notably about relative positioning.

Interesting! I never knew that. Maybe it’s time to resurrect my Linux box.

• Tools>Options>Writer>AutoCaption, check “Writer Image”, and every new picture is inserted with a surrounding text frame for an illustration index and caption.
  • Right-click>Wrap determines how text floats around frames or pictures.
  • Yes, the anchor is important too.