Playing Embedded Videos?

Hello,

Completely new to LO Impress. I have some PPTX presentations (Unknown but likely generated with MS Power Point) that are supposed to have embedded videos in them. However, when I get to one of the slides with the video there is no button or anything to push to cause the video to play. How do I troubleshoot this or is this a known incompatibility?

Thanks,
Steve

1 Like

Difficult to judge, as the presence or non-presence of some video codecs on your operating system may play a role here.
Save a copy of your file in the native Libre office format, rename to .zip, unpack, search in the obtained folder structure for the video file, and check if you can play that file on your computer.
Good luck,
ms777

1 Like

Great tip! The embedded video files are in MP4 format and they play in the default player on the intended Win 7 PC. Does LO Impress require a specific player like QuickTime to play videos?

Thanks,
Steve

The good message is that the video did not get lost …
The bad message is that the fact the video plays when double clicking does not automatically imply that you can embed into and run from Impress
See Apache OpenOffice Community Forum - [Tutorial] Which video formats does AOO support? - (View topic). Create a new Impress presentation, use Tools / Media Player, try to open your video file and see if it possible. If not, you have to convert to some format for which Windows has a DirectShow filter installed (see Supported Formats in DirectShow | Microsoft Learn)

[quote=“ms777, post:4, topic:98362, full:true”]
See Apache OpenOffice Community Forum - [Tutorial] Which video formats does AOO support? - (View topic). Create a new Impress presentation, use Tools / Media Player, try to open your video file and see if it possible.[/quote]

I tried this using a video that I extracted from the presentation. Here is a screenshot… maybe…

The video is an MP4 format which shows as being supported in the file picker. However when I select the file I get the following…

MP_2|658x493

“The format of the selected file is not supported”. There seems to be a disconnect between Win7 and Impress. Windows says yes, Impress player says no.

On a side note I have an old laptop with Win7 and office 2010 Pro on it. At first Power Point 2010 wouldn’t play the video either but complained about Quicktime not being present. I added QT for Windows and the presentation now works as it should. This shows that there is nothing inherently wrong with the presentation file.

Impress uses DirectShow, which is legacy in Windows, but still supported

Maybe the installation of Qt for windows adds the DirectShow filter Windows needs for playing your video? Did you try that on the new computer?

It would help a bit if you exactly determine the codec used for your video. ffmpeg or vlc are good for that

[quote=“ms777, post:6, topic:98362, full:true”]
Impress uses DirectShow, which is legacy in Windows, but still supported[/quote]

According to this: DirectShow - Wikipedia

Direct Show disappeared with Vista and was replaced with Media Foundation.

Maybe the installation of Qt for windows adds the DirectShow filter Windows needs for playing your video? Did you try that on the new computer?[/quote]

Yes, installing Applw Quicktime for Windows made no difference.

It would help a bit if you exactly determine the codec used for your video. ffmpeg or vlc are good for that[/quote]

My MP4 filetype is associated with Windows Media Player. Here are the protocols according to Windows:

WMP Troubleshooting info to follow…

WMP Troubleshooting info Part #1

WMP Troubleshooting info Part #2

WMP Troubleshooting info Part #3

WMP TS Info_3

Hi, the WMP dump does not help to identify the video codec.
Please use ffmpeg or VLC to identify the video codec.
You can also upload the video somewhere and PM me a link, then I have a look

I have 2 files…

1. From Media Info 23 shows the properties of the video file
  2. Output from Codec Tweak Tool that shows system info.

I will try to upload them but may not work…Why can’t you just take a TXT file???

klcp_codec_log_As_Found.pdf (72.5 KB)
media1_mp4_MediaInfo.pdf (10.8 KB)

Hi, your file has video codec ID avc1. I tried with https://test-videos.co.uk/vids/bigbuckbunny/mp4/h264/360/Big_Buck_Bunny_360_10s_1MB.mp4 which has the same codec ID.
Initially, I could not insert it into my Libreoffice 64bit Impress. After installing Matroskasplitter (https://haali.net/mkv/MatroskaSplitter.exe) I could insert it and it played in presentation mode. Please test (on your own risk). If that does not work please provide some link to the file …

Hello,

Well, I am making some progress. Through other internet searching I found K-lite Codec Pack which is also supposed to be able to fix DirectShow issues. Since I already had MPC-HC loaded I decided to install K-lite instead of the now ancient Matroska Splitter.

After the K-lite install I tried Big Buck Bunny video in the Impress player. It recognized it and played it but with a LOT of white screen splashes. Is this to be expected with the Impress player or is there still something wrong?

I then imported the subject presentation in I guess that its edit mode and unlike PP wouldn’t play the video. Is this normal operation for Impress?

I then tried presentation mode and the video played correctly. YAAAY!

Thanks,
Steve

I got a reply to a post on the support forum of the K-lite codec (codecguide.com) that claims that base Windows 7 (and probably others) doesn’t come with native DirectShow support which was the root cause of this issue.

I also found the following test results:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Media_Support/Windows

and here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Media_Support/Windows/Video_Tests

So it looks like this has been known for a while. It is a shame that there couldn’t have been a more direct path to a solution.

Thanks,
Steve