Please rename the category "國語" to "简体中文 / 繁体中文"

Yes, please split two languages, they have too many different words, making two languages together will be chaos.

I’m afraid the tone did come across as confrontational and accusatory though. If you want to argue to that my permission to manage this instance be revoked then talk to my supervisor… In the meantime I’ll keep applying changes requested by “well-connected” community members such as you, Franklin, or Kevin; semi-blindly and with typos included, assuming in good faith that everyone involved is on board with the requested changes, because I’m not not in a position to assess whether there is consensus or not.

In my view the original intent of the category is irrelevant, its purpose is rather defined by people who post there and moderators who relabel/recategorize/etc. in the present. IIRC you requested 國語 be created some years ago, but haven’t posted anything to this site in 4 years, until you jumped on me out of the blue… In the meantime folks appear to have submitted posts in Simplified Chinese starting from 1 year ago. Did anyone ever asked them not to use 國語 for that, and instead request a separate category? Would have been a much better use of one’s time than fighting here…

Yeah. I agree with you that you can do the admin job under the authorization from governing group.

I appreciate that the change to set up a new category for simplified Chinese.

Simplified Chinese users have been posting within 國語 category and that is fine while the renaming issue is not just that right without having consent from the local community.

That’s something not so thoughtful and without the inputs from the local community. It’s like forcing our local community to accept one category with the new name. This is the part which I don’t think being appropriate.

Although it is late, here comes my two dollars:

“國語/国語/国语” is simply not a neutral term and is not accurate at all. It only means “the language of my country”.

For example: When Japanese people communicating with each other and mentioning “国語”, both sides know that it means “Japanese language”. However, NO ONE USES THIS TERM in Japanese i18n among the available language list of a software.

Simply “繁體中文” or “正體中文” is not accurate enough, either. People living in Taipengjinma (Taiwan-Penghu-Jinmen-Mazu) have strong preferences regarding the choice of certain kanji variants and their common terms in life, comparing to the Traditional Chinese used in Hong Kong (which derived into 2 parts: Hong Kong local standard, and KangXi standard). Supporters of the KangXi standard tend to react fiercely seeing Taipengjinma users calling their variants “正體中文”.